The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

18. Use your big punch out mechanic. You may never have a wacker to sell, so use it for every call to give the world a chance to see it.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
6. On a called ball, make sure you add some words to decribe where the pitch was. Or say nothing. This especially helps when Pago Pago is playing Mitsubishistan.
This one drives me nuts, both as a coach and an ump. I've worked games where the PU describes every freaking ball.

Quote:
8. If you are a base or outfield umpire and a ball is hit foul into the 17th row of the stands, wave both arms frantically and scream: "That is a foul ball," AND THEN POINT FRANTICALLY in the some direction. Addendum: If you are an outfield umpire and your partner at the base makes such a call, be sure to echo him/her, only use a louder voice and gesticulate more drastically.
I'm not going to completely defend the umps here but I'll tell you from coaching LL and umpiring LL, the players are taught to run out every foul ball until they hear the ump yell "foul". Some kids are smart enough to realize that the ball just dented someone's car but others will just keep on running until you do yell "foul".

Quote:
16. Never, give the count as "Two Balls, One Strike." Always yell, "Twenty-One!!"
Argh! I can't stand that!!!!!

Quote:
17. ALWAYS give the count, not just on odd-numbers or at someone's request ... and show it from the 3B bench allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the way around to the 1B bench before you bring your fingers down.
I worked a district game with this clown who insisted that he was the PU (words to the effect of "I only do the plate"). Well, the assignor was desperate and agreed to let him do the plate. The assignor and I were the base umps. I'm beginning to think Ace called this clown to put together his list as it describes this dude perfectly except for some missing items:

-- At the beginning of each half inning he would point at the pitcher and yell extremely loudly "IT'S YOUR FIELD, PLAY BALL!"

-- At the coaches' get together before the game, he began explaining to me and the assignor, in front of the coaches, our duties as base umpires

-- He informed the coaches that at the beginning of the third inning, he would make sure every player had their MPRs. Coaches asked him "so, you going to make our substitutes too?". He didn't catch that little dig.

-- After a two and half hour rain delay, he informed the coaches he didn't care what time it was, by his watch the time was 7pm (it was 9:45pm). LL rules state no inning can start after 11pm. He was overruling LL rules.

-- He did #17 before EVERY pitch and would sit there and stare at us until we acknowledge his count.

-- I expect him to be at LLWS next year
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 03:03pm

CoachTex,

Congratulations. Please accept on his behalf, the Smitty Of The Millenium award! I wonder just what he would do if he ever worked the bases. I shudder at the thought!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, I forgot one. He made the immediate "OUT! no, safe!" call at the plate
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Ah, Tex, yer just a h8Tor!
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
16. Never, give the count as "Two Balls, One Strike." Always yell, "Twenty-One!!"

I can't believe I just heard the PU at the Japan/Mexico game nearly give all variables on the same batter..."Twenty-One", "Twenty-Two", "Thirty-Two."

I'm amazed I haven't heard "Thirty-Three" or "Forty-Two" yet. But with week still to go, who knows?
Yeah i heard that one! I was like what the heck? next comes "blue 42...hut hut"
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Big prime time afternoon game and the left field line ump was none other than

ANDY KONYAR

Guess he's saving himself for the finals.........
No Fair, he gets to do the LLWS every year Actually We are very close to Williamsport, and he is orignally from our district, and he comes to our umpire meetings also.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
No Fair, he gets to do the LLWS every year Actually We are very close to Williamsport, and he is orignally from our district, and he comes to our umpire meetings also.
You lucky dog! Under his tutelage you have the chance to be a world class umpire. {tongue buried firmly in cheek}
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
You lucky dog! Under his tutelage you have the chance to be a world class umpire. {tongue buried firmly in cheek}
How did you manage to keep your tongue buried in cheek, when I kept spitting mine out laughing my butt off! Good one!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Big prime time afternoon game and the left field line ump was none other than

ANDY KONYAR

Guess he's saving himself for the finals.........
I wonder if, when Andy Konyar umpires a LLWS game, he rebates the pro rata share of his salary for the time spent back to Little League, so that he can claim to also be a volunteer umpire.