Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Pete:

I also have hired an evaluation firm each of the last three year to video me when I umpire.
Where do you find such firms? I've been looking for someone to tape me for the last 3 seasons and have drawn a blank.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

my .02

If I was on TV, I'd probably come off with these 2 comments....

Points too much.......(swinging strike...I point at batter, then hammer) (plus points at plate when runs score).....

I do have a bit of an excuse for that....when I was young I was trained by an old SAL league umpire, and heaven help the umpire who did not point at the plate and indicate that the plate was touched and then hold up the number of fingers to indicate how many runs scored.....I know it was for the scorer in the press box, but that was his mechanic and we all toed the mark......I cant seem to break the habit......

Needs to lose more weight....

Stan
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Great training aid

At a clinic I attend, we are taped during cage sessions so that on playback we can hear the instructor's comments/suggestions and watch our work. We're also taped during our games. While it's not of ESPN quality with close-ups and such, it's incredibly helpful.

Also, our state hs playoff games are televised and re-broadcast on cable, so I've seen myself there as well.

Being my toughest judge ...
On TV or tape, people would say:

1. Looks "dumpy." I need to drop another 20. I don't like the way I look in uniform.

2. Good, crisp mechanics on the dish. Good, strong verbals. Not too showy, but a good look and sound.

3. He's slow on strike calls. (I quietly say "yes" to the catcher and hitter, and then stand to call it for everyone else).

4. Good zone, but the bottom of the zone can be fuzzy.

5. Good hustle, maybe over-hustles sometimes.

6. Good positioning and timing on safe/out.

7. Good communication (verbal and non) with crew.

* My wife comes to my hs and collegiate games when she can ... she tells me to smile more when I'm on the field. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Slightly relevant to this thread are a couple of posts at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/llumpires/ in which a couple of umpires who have worked LLWS games or LL Regional games dismiss comments about missed calls, being out of position, and even facing the wrong direction on a play by blaming the camera lens, distortion from "compression" and distortion from converting the signal from analog to digital.

The denials begin with "I've seen the tape and I can't believe how different a picture it presents from what really happened."

It's effing hilarious.

Due to the anal retentive and, at times, vengeful management at that site, no one dares to question those in deep denial. Pity.

Last edited by GarthB; Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 12:23pm.