The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Is there a call to be made here? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27842-there-call-made-here.html)

Snorg Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:54pm

Is there a call to be made here?

This happened quite a few years ago in a college game...
R2 trying to score on a single. As he is approaching and rounding 3B, imagine F2, in front of the plate, mask discarded, knees bent, hands in front of his body, he appears to be awaiting the impending throw. Now the runner has rounded 3B and is maybe 60 feet from home, coming full bore. All of a sudden F2 stands straight up, dropping his hands to his side, maybe a disgusted look on his face...giving the unmistakable appearance that the throw was cut off or went to another base. Seeing this, the runner naturally puts on the auto-pilot and pulls up into a jog for the last 40-50 feet. But when he is 15-20 feet away F2, still just standing there, all of a sudden reaches out to catch the throw and tag the jogging runner. The runner was totally faked out.

Is there any call to be made here, except 'out'? I know this was a college game, but I'm asking particularly for FED, because I know there are times that you are not allowed to pretend there is a play when there really isn't (i.e. the fake tag without the ball). But can you do the opposite....pretend there isn't a play when there really is? Is the defense gaining an unfair advantage here?

Any thoughts?

Rich Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snorg
This happened quite a few years ago in a college game...
R2 trying to score on a single. As he is approaching and rounding 3B, imagine F2, in front of the plate, mask discarded, knees bent, hands in front of his body, he appears to be awaiting the impending throw. Now the runner has rounded 3B and is maybe 60 feet from home, coming full bore. All of a sudden F2 stands straight up, dropping his hands to his side, maybe a disgusted look on his face...giving the unmistakable appearance that the throw was cut off or went to another base. Seeing this, the runner naturally puts on the auto-pilot and pulls up into a jog for the last 40-50 feet. But when he is 15-20 feet away F2, still just standing there, all of a sudden reaches out to catch the throw and tag the jogging runner. The runner was totally faked out.

Is there any call to be made here, except 'out'? I know this was a college game, but I'm asking particularly for FED, because I know there are times that you are not allowed to pretend there is a play when there really isn't (i.e. the fake tag without the ball). But can you do the opposite....pretend there isn't a play when there really is? Is the defense gaining an unfair advantage here?

Any thoughts?

Yes. Don't try to inject an umpire into every situation. It's a great play. And an out.

briancurtin Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:49am

Quote:

Is the defense gaining an unfair advantage here?

i wouldnt say its "unfair", more like "hilarious"

call the out and watch the coach erupt at the player. thats all i have here.

GarthB Thu Aug 17, 2006 01:12am

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Yeah, The runner is out.

Want a second opinion?

He's an idiot, too.

nickrego Thu Aug 17, 2006 01:13am

The call is OUT !

The remark to the Catcher is, Very Smooth !

Then immediately run home and post it on this site !

ozzy6900 Thu Aug 17, 2006 05:16am

All right, everyone (including myself) say that it is a simple out call. You posted this thread looking for something so what would you want us to call?

Snorg Thu Aug 17, 2006 07:56am

I'm not looking for any particular call....I thought it was a heads-up play, too. I was just reminded of this play in a conversation I was having and thought it would be neat to get some opinions. That's all.
I appreciate those who responded.

piaa_ump Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:02am

my.02

nope.....no call needed.....an absolutely excellent decoy........excellent job by catcher......

I might call all my umpire friends to tell them about it though.....

aceholleran Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:45am

As a kid (in the Paleolithic Era) I remember reading about a veteran MLB catcher who would effect this same ploy. I believe he would cross his arms.

Any help from youse vets? Birdie Tebbets? Someone from the Orioles, maybe Gus Triandos?

Ace