The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Quick one for you guys... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27667-quick-one-you-guys.html)

Bainer Thu Aug 03, 2006 02:27pm

Quick one for you guys...

Here's a quick one for you guys- a few of us are wrestling with this one right now, and I thought I'd get some more opinions.

r1, no outs. Batter hits a line drive which hits third base, and ricochets directly into the third base coach who is in the coaches box, and had no chance to react. The ball drops to the ground and stops at his feet.

Suggestions?

Bainer.

LMan Thu Aug 03, 2006 02:29pm

Fair ball, play on.

I suggest the coach immediately vacate the area.

ctblu40 Thu Aug 03, 2006 02:37pm

Fair ball, still in play. The coach is authorized to be on the playing field, so no int. unless it's judged to be intentional.

GarthB Thu Aug 03, 2006 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bainer
Here's a quick one for you guys- a few of us are wrestling with this one right now, and I thought I'd get some more opinions.

r1, no outs. Batter hits a line drive which hits third base, and ricochets directly into the third base coach who is in the coaches box, and had no chance to react. The ball drops to the ground and stops at his feet.

Suggestions?

Bainer.

Yeah, F5 better pick up the ball before R1 scores.

aceholleran Thu Aug 03, 2006 03:05pm

Play on, McDuff.

Ace

3appleshigh Thu Aug 03, 2006 03:07pm

GO GO GADGET Fielder.

Coach now needs to move so fielder can play the ball. That is all.

LLPA13UmpDan Thu Aug 03, 2006 09:04pm

Same as if it hit an umpire

Dave Hensley Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan

No, not the same as if the ball hit an umpire. If the ball hits an umpire before passing an infielder other than the pitcher, as would be the case if the base umpire is in traditional B or C position, the ball is immediately dead, the batter is awarded 1B and runners advance only if forced.

That's decidedly different from "play on."

SanDiegoSteve Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:12pm

Quote:

If the umpire was in A or D, yes. In B or C, dead ball.

LLPA13UmpDan Fri Aug 04, 2006 01:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
No, not the same as if the ball hit an umpire. If the ball hits an umpire before passing an infielder other than the pitcher, as would be the case if the base umpire is in traditional B or C position, the ball is immediately dead, the batter is awarded 1B and runners advance only if forced.

That's decidedly different from "play on."

I always thought the umpire was in play. :confused: maybe i need to read some rules

SanDiegoSteve Fri Aug 04, 2006 02:53am

Quote:

I always thought the umpire was in play. :confused: maybe i need to read some rules

Wait a minute, I think I see the problem here.

Dan, I hate to break this to you, but as I said before, unless Little League is specified, we are talking big people baseball on this forum. You probably work outside the bases in the outfield when working the bases in your LL games, correct?

If this is the case, you are behind the fielders, so if you get hit with the ball, it remains alive, as it has passed a fielder other than the pitcher. If you work inside the diamond and get hit, the ball is dead, the batter gets 1st base, and any forced runners advance.

BoomerSooner Fri Aug 04, 2006 03:06am

Since the OP's sitch was a little far-fetched, lets say the 3B Coach collapses on top of the ball. What's the call?

SanDiegoSteve Fri Aug 04, 2006 04:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
Since the OP's sitch was a little far-fetched, lets say the 3B Coach collapses on top of the ball. What's the call?

And you think the OP's sitch was farfetched?:eek:

LMan Fri Aug 04, 2006 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner

911.......?

GarthB Fri Aug 04, 2006 09:44am

Quote:

And the light comes on.