The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
Calling strikes from a knee

couple of things, what do you guys think about calling strikes from a knee. it is something that I would love to try, I really like the idea of being sure that I will always see the zone exactly the same way every time. being a new guy, I know I have a problem getting a consistant lock-in mechanism and I watched the CLE-BOS game last night with Wally bell behind the plate and i got to thinking if that was something I could do. obviously I am aware of the main problem that in a 2-man system I do have a lot of ground to cover.

also, as an aside, do any of you call games wearing sunglasses behind the plate, any pro-cons you guys have observed?

thanks,

Joe
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGreySt
couple of things, what do you guys think about calling strikes from a knee. it is something that I would love to try, I really like the idea of being sure that I will always see the zone exactly the same way every time. being a new guy, I know I have a problem getting a consistant lock-in mechanism and I watched the CLE-BOS game last night with Wally bell behind the plate and i got to thinking if that was something I could do. obviously I am aware of the main problem that in a 2-man system I do have a lot of ground to cover.

also, as an aside, do any of you call games wearing sunglasses behind the plate, any pro-cons you guys have observed?

thanks,

Joe
Being the new guy I would recommend that you try all the stances and use the one that is best for you. I used to go down on one knee for college games and use the scissor for high school games. This spring I took 4 balls right off my thighs. I had some huge bruises for weeks, I went back to the scissors for all games. The knee does keep you head locked in the same spot or every pitch the entire game. I didn't experience any base coverage problems from using the knee! You also go through pants a lot quicker, we don't get them free like Wally Bell!

Sunglasses is also a personal preference. Try it and see if you like it.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I've found that when I use the knee for shaving players, I'm too low, or I'm stretching to be at the right place. But on the occasion that I'm working lower levels (i.e. shorter players) or I have an inordinately short older player, I like working the knee.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

for small batters...i sometimes will get on one knee. if i dont, I'll be squatting like that catcher.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

For smaller games (LL, Ripken, etc) I use the knee. Only problem is my knees get filthy and torn up easily. Occasionally I use it in Babe Ruth games....if you don't get lazy, it's not that bad getting up to be in position in a 2-man.

In regards to the shades behind the plate, I do it for any game that starts before 6 PM. I haven't had any problems other than wiping sweat off my brow. Plus, it allows me to look into the dugout if I hear anything funny without anyone knowing and responding.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I did a High School summer league tournament last month, in which I had 4 games on one day...and three on the plate. (Don't ask!).

By game four (my last plate game), I was zonked. So I worked the knee. I'm still young enough ( ) that I was able to get up and out from behind the plate without a problem (for instance with the base umpire going out with no runners on base).

As for the strike zone: I have worked the scissors in every other game I've umpired for the last 5 years. To me, personally, the pitches did look quite a bit different than in the scissors. I found myself calling more high strikes.

It was a very, very long day for the teams (they were ready to go home, too), plus I have a very good reputation with both coaches, so my new higher strike zone caused no problems. They wanted strikes! In fact one of the coaches teased me the next week accusing me of thinking I was so good that I could now work the knee like a MLBer. I laughed and said that I was just too tired to keep standing for another 7 innings.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I used the "one knee" stance when I first started out. As I moved up and started doing higher level games, I switched to the box stance. My reason was simply self preservation. Too many bruised thighs to continue the 1-knee.

As for glasses, I use them when needed. Sunny, clear sky days. One tip I would offer is, if you're wearing them and you need to discuss something with a manager, remove them for the conversation.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
As for glasses, I use them when needed. Sunny, clear sky days. One tip I would offer is, if you're wearing them and you need to discuss something with a manager, remove them for the conversation.
Why ? They don't take them off to talk to us. And I don't see a problem with either person leaving sunglasses on. I do take my helmet off though.

Nick
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:59pm

Quote:

thanks,

Joe
Joe,

Wally Bell is the only umpire in MLB that continues to work the knee. Runge, McClelland, and Brinkman have all stopped working the knee. Runge now uses a very deep scissors in which his knee nearly touches the ground, but does not. I think in McClelland's and Brinkman's cases, that they found it more and more difficult to bounce up from as they have gotten older. That's just speculation on my part, but it makes sense.

When I was younger, I could spring up from the knee just fine, but unless you stay in really good shape, it's a bit harder to quickly get up and get to your position. Especially working 2-Man.

Sunglasses are fine, but I have trouble with pulling them off my face when I take my HSM off on every play. Every now and then I yank my glasses off along with the helmet, so I usually don't wear them behind the plate anymore.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
Plus, it allows me to look into the dugout if I hear anything funny without anyone knowing and responding.
What? They cant see you turning your head?
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
Why ? They don't take them off to talk to us. And I don't see a problem with either person leaving sunglasses on. I do take my helmet off though.
IMO, you should remove the glasses for 2 reasons:
1) Let the coach see your eyes so that he know's he has your undivided attention when he's talking to you.
2) Let the coach see your eyes when you're starting to get pi$$ed so that he can read your non-verbal communication.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

thanks,

Joe
Unless effort is made to get up off the knee when appropriate, including after each pitch, the perceptioncan be one of laziness. Added to that is the additional time it takes to clear the catcher and get some of the looks you need to get on bunts, steals of home and other plays. Many evaluators, including those who evaluate MiLB umpires have gotten somehat negative on the the knee stance, and, as has been noted previously, most of the MLB umpires who used it have stopped doing so.

I have never worked LL, so I can't speak to the appropriateness of the stance for those games.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

If you need glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
IMO, you should remove the glasses for 2 reasons:
1) Let the coach see your eyes so that he know's he has your undivided attention when he's talking to you.
2) Let the coach see your eyes when you're starting to get pi$$ed so that he can read your non-verbal communication.
I wear prescription glasses and sunglasses. If I removed my sunglasses to talk to a coach, he'd read my non-verbal communication that he's blurry and indistinct. I suppose I should look for the appropriate occasion.

Coach: But the hands are part of the bat.
LL (removing sunglasses): Are you sure of that?

Even though both glasses have the same prescription, changing them gives me a moment of awkward vision (due to the different fit, I think), so I try to stay with the same pair for the whole game. Behind the plate, I tend to wear them less than I do in the field, but we have a couple of local fields were PU faces the setting sun.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
the perceptioncan be one of laziness.
What if an ump tells a coach that he's not able to see the whole foot on the dish or out of the box after a bunt?? Does the same perception apply here too??
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

(Yawn....)