The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Throat Protector Redux (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27540-throat-protector-redux.html)

LakeErieUmp Sat Jul 22, 2006 05:07pm

Throat Protector Redux

Just an observation, I don't intend to change anyone's mind.
An assignor out this way caught one in the throat as PU in a high school game. A former college pitcher, knows the game, and tough as nails.
Could have died. Couple days in the hospital and will not set foot behind the plate without some throat protection (and the extenders DO protect against a ball off the ground because it slows the darn thing down!)
I learned my lesson on "more is better" as a younger buck, thinking that because it's only 9 year olds I didn't have to go back to the parking lot for my cup. I did. And on the SECOND PITCH of the game the darn batter hits the ball, starts to first, throws his bat backward. OVER the catcher. And his yours truly square across where thank God I was wearing a cup.

Rich Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
Just an observation, I don't intend to change anyone's mind.
An assignor out this way caught one in the throat as PU in a high school game. A former college pitcher, knows the game, and tough as nails.
Could have died. Couple days in the hospital and will not set foot behind the plate without some throat protection (and the extenders DO protect against a ball off the ground because it slows the darn thing down!)
I learned my lesson on "more is better" as a younger buck, thinking that because it's only 9 year olds I didn't have to go back to the parking lot for my cup. I did. And on the SECOND PITCH of the game the darn batter hits the ball, starts to first, throws his bat backward. OVER the catcher. And his yours truly square across where thank God I was wearing a cup.

A Legion pitcher, IIRC, got killed in a game a few seasons ago. We shouldn't play at all, as it's dangerous.

briancurtin Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:36am

im not driving my SUV anymore. they roll over easily.

Rcichon Sun Jul 23, 2006 08:08am

Long model

I use a long model. Took a foul ball off the dangling throat protector this season. It was sharp, straight and would have done some damage if the piece of plastic were not there.

This makes only the second time in my 'career' [13 years] it has happened.

TussAgee11 Sun Jul 23, 2006 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin
im not driving my SUV anymore. they roll over easily.

I'm not wearing a chest protector. Its uncomfortable, and makes me look fat.

SAump Sun Jul 23, 2006 06:02pm

Cp

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11

My WV Gold makes me look BUFF.:D

TussAgee11 Sun Jul 23, 2006 09:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump
My WV Gold makes me look BUFF.:D

Actually had a very cute Mom today who thought I was 30 wearing my WV Platinum, and was pretty flirtatious about it. Women like men with authority!

To my shegrin, she was a parent of the first game of the DH, not the second, so I didn't get to say goodbye :( LOL

ctblu40 Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11

My gut and a$$ are what make me look fat :D .

nickrego Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:35pm

I wear the long version also. I have found that the short version can get caught in your shirt opening when you look up. Plus, the long version does a better job of protecting against the balls coming up from the ground.

Mine saves me between 2 and 4 times each season.

LMan Mon Jul 24, 2006 08:41pm

Being the cost-conscious guy I am, I find that if I wear my 'long' throat protector, I don't need a CP at all.

briancurtin Mon Jul 24, 2006 09:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
Being the cost-conscious guy I am, I find that if I wear my 'long' throat protector, I don't need a CP at all.

being the cost-conscious guy i am, i dont wear a cup. i just tuck it back and play ball