The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Wilson West Chest Protectors (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27511-wilson-west-chest-protectors.html)

mr.ump Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:34pm

Wilson West Chest Protectors

Hey guys. I'm 17, and I ump Little League and Travel ball. That being said, I plan to start umping high school soon (maybe even varsity eventually) but will probably never go higher than that. It has come time to purchase a chest protector, and I'm trying to decide between a few different Wilson brands. The price is irrelavent since the league will be paying it for me, and I probably won't have to pay a penny. I was hoping some other, more experienced umps could give me their input as to which they think is best AND what the differences are between the three. Here are the choices:

Wilson Gold
Wilson Platinum
Wilson Major League Hard Shell

Thanks!

TussAgee11 Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.ump
Hey guys. I'm 17, and I ump Little League and Travel ball. That being said, I plan to start umping high school soon (maybe even varsity eventually) but will probably never go higher than that. It has come time to purchase a chest protector, and I'm trying to decide between a few different Wilson brands. The price is irrelavent since the league will be paying it for me, and I probably won't have to pay a penny. I was hoping some other, more experienced umps could give me their input as to which they think is best AND what the differences are between the three. Here are the choices:

Wilson Gold
Wilson Platinum
Wilson Major League Hard Shell

Thanks!

The West Vest platinum is a good vest that I enjoy wearing, along with several people in my area (it seems every week I am working with somebody who uses it). The Gold is very similar. Not to start a debate on soft/hard, but IMO, if you are going to be working HS games, you should be getting an armor type protector.

ref49873 Thu Jul 20, 2006 01:06pm

I changed from the soft protector to the Wilson Gold 2 seasons ago and could not be happier.

I you plan on working HS ball I would recommend the hard shell protector and you can't go wrong with either Gold or Platinium

Hock9 Thu Jul 20, 2006 01:30pm

I have a west vest original and a platinum. The platinum is more comfortable and has slightly more protection in the pectoral area. It also is structured better (it's held together with firm straps and permanent fasteners, as compared to velcro). But both are excellent.

mrm21711 Thu Jul 20, 2006 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hock9
I have a west vest original and a platinum. The platinum is more comfortable and has slightly more protection in the pectoral area. It also is structured better (it's held together with firm straps and permanent fasteners, as compared to velcro). But both are excellent.

My personal feelings:

If you are bigger (over 6'0 200 lbs) the Platinum will fit well. I am smaller than this, and there are some minor sizing issues with the Platinum. If I could do it all over again, I would purchase the Gold because of the fit. However, the Platinum is an excellent protector.

waltjp Thu Jul 20, 2006 02:10pm

As others have stated, go with a hard-shelled protector. I use the Wilson Platinum and I'm happy with it but I'm sure the others will offer similar levels of protection. Try them on and go with what feels best. Just a word of advice, if you want to ask someone if they'll let you try on their chest protector to see how if fits do so before the game, not after!

johnSandlin Thu Jul 20, 2006 04:07pm

I use the Wilson WV Platinum protector, the wilson WV pro leg guards, and bounce between Wilson WV dyna-lite mask and a All Star helmet, and absolutely love the Wilson WV line of umpiring gear.

It protects you well and it is well worth the cost of the equipment and shipping to use this equipment.

GarthB Thu Jul 20, 2006 04:13pm

The placement of the "shoulder pads" make the WV gold a better protector if you use a heel-toe, GD, or squared off stance. The shoulder pads on the platinum are positioned better for the scissors stance.

lmathews19 Thu Jul 20, 2006 04:52pm

what about the Honig's K1 protector? Any advice on that? I just know one guy that uses it and he says he absolutely loves it. I use the WV platinum and love it, but like Tuss said, I wish I could get it to go tighter due to the very reason of it not coming up high enough on my neck.

TussAgee11 Thu Jul 20, 2006 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmathews19
what about the Honig's K1 protector? Any advice on that? I just know one guy that uses it and he says he absolutely loves it. I use the WV platinum and love it, but like Tuss said, I wish I could get it to go tighter due to the very reason of it not coming up high enough on my neck.

K1 isn't a hard shell. I would be okay for lower level ball, but would not trust it for High School (maybe I'd trust it, but not as much as I do my WV).

Dave Hensley Thu Jul 20, 2006 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11
K1 isn't a hard shell. I would be okay for lower level ball, but would not trust it for High School (maybe I'd trust it, but not as much as I do my WV).

The Honig's K-1 is used by umpires calling NCAA D1 ball, so I think it's proven protective enough to work those levels.

That said, I've owned a K-1 and liked it well enough, but no matter how many chest protectors I give a whirl, and it's been more than a few - I always end up coming back to my West Vest Gold. For comfort, fit and protection, it can't be beat. As Garth mentioned, the shoulder pads are "front mounted" rather than the Platinum's "top mounted" style, so the Gold gives you better collarbone and shoulder protection if you're working a more vertical stance such as the Gerry Davis, heel-toe, etc.

Rich Thu Jul 20, 2006 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
The Honig's K-1 is used by umpires calling NCAA D1 ball, so I think it's proven protective enough to work those levels.

That said, I've owned a K-1 and liked it well enough, but no matter how many chest protectors I give a whirl, and it's been more than a few - I always end up coming back to my West Vest Gold. For comfort, fit and protection, it can't be beat. As Garth mentioned, the shoulder pads are "front mounted" rather than the Platinum's "top mounted" style, so the Gold gives you better collarbone and shoulder protection if you're working a more vertical stance such as the Gerry Davis, heel-toe, etc.

I use the K1 for everything I call. I have a WV Gold and I prefer the K1.

ToGreySt Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I use the K1 for everything I call. I have a WV Gold and I prefer the K1.

I agree with rich, I've used both at all levels up to varsity and men's leagues and I like the K-1 better, also if you are on the larger size, the K-1 is longer than the WV and I found it does cover up more of my stomach, and that's good

just my 2c

Joe

TussAgee11 Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:43am

I respect your opinion and decision Rich to go with the K1. To each his own. If it wasn't quality 'm sure Honig's wouldn't sell it. I'm just too scared to use a soft shell, when I hear stories of people's hearts stopping and the such (not that its a defective CP, it just scares me) so I go for the thing that to me, will protect me the best. If you feel the K1 does that for you, then great. We all have to feel safe so we don't worry about safety while doing our jobs.

nickrego Fri Jul 21, 2006 01:17am

All of the "top of the line" products protect well. The big difference is FIT, in my opinion. You need to try on several to see which fits your frame the best. You will be surprised at how different each model feels and fits.

Personally, I use the Honig's K1, because it fits my large athletic (stomach doesn't stick out past my chest) frame best. It molds to my shape, and stays put very well.

The Platinum felt like a stiff board with pads to me, and made it hard to put a shirt or jacket on. The Gold fits just about anyone under 6' well. No experience with the Hard Shell.