The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   More Problems (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27455-more-problems.html)

gruberted Mon Jul 17, 2006 02:12am

More Problems

Hey guys back for more.

High Schools

Runner on 1st no outs. Ball hit to shortstop flips it to second baseman who doesn't touch the bag and which I don't say anything and then he throws it to first in which that runner was also safe. The kids thinkin he was out at second walks off the field and takes off his helmet. The coach then tells him to go back to second but I already called him out for taking off his helmet and leaving the field. The coach then argued there is no baseline only for a tag attempt? I'm like no you are wrong. What is the solution to this?

Second Problem

11-12

Coach was complaining all game from the get go. Ball down the left field line I called it fall he said it picked up chalk. So he kept complaining then I gave him a warning. He shut up until his pitcher got out there. He honestly thought when I ball hits the dirt and the catchers scoops it up its a strike. So as the pitcher walks him he turns to a parent and tells them those are strike he has no idea. I heard enough from at this point so I tossed him. He came angry easily and said he will meet me after the game? Should I take this a threat and what else should I have done?

Thanks,

Ted

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jul 17, 2006 02:25am

1) What you needed to do was make a safe call on the play at second. It isn't a routine play that doesn't need explaining. It is an unusual call, and must be explained. That's probably why the runner walked off the base thinking he was out, because he thought it was a routine out call. Anytime you have both ball and runner at a base, you need to make at least an arm signal, if not both signal and verbal call.

2) If the coach was complaining from the get go, he should have got going earlier. You should have shut down his BS a lot sooner. By the time you got around to warning him, he thought he could walk all over you. As far as the threat, did he try to meet you after the game? If not, he was just talking sh*t. Hey, if they feel froggy, start leapin' I say.

nickrego Mon Jul 17, 2006 02:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gruberted
Hey guys back for more.

High Schools

Runner on 1st no outs. Ball hit to shortstop flips it to second baseman who doesn't touch the bag and which I don't say anything and then he throws it to first in which that runner was also safe. The kids thinkin he was out at second walks off the field and takes off his helmet. The coach then tells him to go back to second but I already called him out for taking off his helmet and leaving the field. The coach then argued there is no baseline only for a tag attempt? I'm like no you are wrong. What is the solution to this?

Second Problem

11-12

Coach was complaining all game from the get go. Ball down the left field line I called it fall he said it picked up chalk. So he kept complaining then I gave him a warning. He shut up until his pitcher got out there. He honestly thought when I ball hits the dirt and the catchers scoops it up its a strike. So as the pitcher walks him he turns to a parent and tells them those are strike he has no idea. I heard enough from at this point so I tossed him. He came angry easily and said he will meet me after the game? Should I take this a threat and what else should I have done?

Thanks,

Ted

Ted,

Problem 1: Why didn't you loudly call the runner safe ? If you didn't say it at least once so the batter could hear it, how do you expect the runner to know he is safe ? Sounds like you penalized the runner for your bad mechanics.

Problem 2: No offence, but I couldn't understand what you were trying to say. Maybe you could correct the typo's ?

bob jenkins Mon Jul 17, 2006 07:52am

Adding to the other replies:

1) There's no "out" for "removing the helmet" in FED ball. You might have an out for abandonment and a helmet warning. If the play was routine enough that the runner thought he was out, you should consider calling it an out, even if F4 didn't touch the bag. You'll have to make your own mind up on the neighborhood play, though.

2) Include the threat in your ejection report -- quote the coach as best as you can, and don't editorialize.

jwwashburn Mon Jul 17, 2006 07:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickrego

Problem 2: No offence, but I couldn't understand what you were trying to say. Maybe you could correct the typo's ?

No offence, are you a Brit?:cool:

mcrowder Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:16am

Still don't see why this runner was out (1st sitch). If I was the coach and told you there was no baseline except when there was a tag and you were "like no you're wrong", I'd have protested immediately. You are wrong. Unless he actually left the field, walking out of the baseline is not an out and removing the helmet is not an out.

And like others, I've got almost no idea what you were like trying to like say in the 2nd paragraph that had no punctuation and like kept going so I was like I can't see what it says you know. :)

All I could gather from the 2nd sitch was that you let the coach go too long, and YES, you should call the police if a coach ever threatens you that he's going to meet you in the parking lot. And write a report. AND this guy should never coach again. You don't have to wait to see if he actually kills you or beats you senseless (or at least ... more senseless!) before calling the cops, as intimated above.

bluezebra Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickrego
Ted,

Problem 1: Why didn't you loudly call the runner safe ? If you didn't say it at least once so the batter could hear it, how do you expect the runner to know he is safe ? Sounds like you penalized the runner for your bad mechanics.

1..And give a sweeping motion with your arms.

2..Speaking of "typos", what is "typo's possessing? It's a plural here, not a possessive.

Bob