The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   The old illegal ball trick ? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27297-old-illegal-ball-trick.html)

nickrego Sun Jul 02, 2006 07:02pm

The old illegal ball trick ?

Adult Pay-To-Play league.

1 Out, No Runners, Home Team up to bat.

Batter swings hard at a fastball and connects squarely. Ball dies at the feet of the Pitcher (with a funny sound), who throws him out at 1st.

Offensive (Home Team) Coach immediately asked for Time, and to see the ball. We check the ball, and it is one of those heavy / soft Safety Balls. This league requires NFHS approved balls.

After a fair bit of arguing between the teams, and some serious game management (I was working alone), I rendered my judgment;

Out stands...Ball removed from the game. (everybody was OK with it)

I have no experience with this type of situation, and couldn't remember the rule book dealing with an illegal ball that had been part of a play (just a bat). So I just winged it. Was I right ?

How that ball got in the game, I don't know. But it didn't pass through my hands. I always look over a ball that is coming into the game as either a new ball, or returning from a foul ball. First, it had Black writing, and the legal balls we were using had Green writing. Second, the ball was noticeably heavier than a 5 oz. ball. Something sneeky going on ? :rolleyes:

bossman72 Sun Jul 02, 2006 09:49pm

Sounds like you nailed it. No penalty for "illegal ball," just remove it.

DG Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:59pm

I wonder why a pitcher would want to throw a heavy ball....

UmpJM Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:13am

nickrego,

The situation you describe is a "point not covered" in the rules. Therefore, 9.01(c) is the relevant rule. Since it's a 9.01(c) situation, you can't be wrong.

Personally, I would have ruled differently. I would have nullified the play (and the pitch), put the batter back at the plate with the same count he had, and warned the pitcher that if he were to throw another pitch with an illegal ball he would be ejected.

I would have ruled this way because:

1. As described, the batter was put at a material disadvantage by having an illegal ball pitched to him, in a way that is clearly contrary to the rules.

2. The pitcher had to have known that the ball he was pitching was not "regulation".

The pitcher cheated, plain and simple. He gained an unfair advantage by doing so. I wouldn't allow it to stand.

You ruling wasn't "wrong", but it could have been "better".

JM

DG Mon Jul 03, 2006 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachJM
nickrego,

The situation you describe is a "point not covered" in the rules. Therefore, 9.01(c) is the relevant rule. Since it's a 9.01(c) situation, you can't be wrong.

Personally, I would have ruled differently. I would have nullified the play (and the pitch), put the batter back at the plate with the same count he had, and warned the pitcher that if he were to throw another pitch with an illegal ball he would be ejected.

I would have ruled this way because:

1. As described, the batter was put at a material disadvantage by having an illegal ball pitched to him, in a way that is clearly contrary to the rules.

2. The pitcher had to have known that the ball he was pitching was not "regulation".

The pitcher cheated, plain and simple. He gained an unfair advantage by doing so. I wouldn't allow it to stand.

You ruling wasn't "wrong", but it could have been "better".

JM

My point for asking why the pitcher would throw an illegal ball, was to see if anyone thought he gained an advantage. I would award the batter 1B. The greater the award, the less likely it is done again. A do-over is not a penalty, IMHO.

Since 9.01C allows me to not be wrong, I feel good.