The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Cooperstown Dreams Park Tournaments (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27209-cooperstown-dreams-park-tournaments.html)

ref49873 Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:13pm

:)

Just returned form my first trip to CDP during week 1. I couldn't give CDP a high enough recommendation.

I was a great experience working with umpires from all over the country, and working games of top level 10U teams. It also gave me the chance to improve my 3,4 and 6-man mechanics.

cbfoulds Thu Jun 29, 2006 09:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref49873
:)

Just returned form my first trip to CDP during week 1. I couldn't give CDP a high enough recommendation.

I was a great experience working with umpires from all over the country, and working games of top level 10U teams. It also gave me the chance to improve my 3,4 and 6-man mechanics.

OHMYGAWD!
I usually stay out of these CDP rhubarbs, but the [apparently unintentional] humor is just too much!

6 MAN MECHANICS?!? On the small field? What the h@11 mechanics could there be other than "stand there and watch your assigned responsibility - try not to fall asleep or look like a doofus."?

And "top level 10U teams ...."?? Gracious, you ARE funning, aren't you?

Look, I do U10 ball occasionally; and yes, when I do it, I'm a volunteer.
But I think some people are letting that [AYBB] "Hall of Fame Ring" business go to their heads.
If you wanna go to CDP to help out a team of kids and have some fun, great, knock yourself out, have a blast; hopefully that will help the kids have fun, too. I imagine there are maybe even some Real (tm) Umpires there at some point during the summer. But don't expect anyone to take the "experience" seriously, EXCEPT as a good time; PLEASE.

lmathews19 Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:42am

I would do it if I were retired and had nothing else to do and wanted to go on a road trip. Maybe that's many of the guys who work it....old veterans retired from their jobs who want to give back something to the community. I would definately do it if I were put in those shoes...but unfortunately, I'm not.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Jun 30, 2006 02:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmathews19
I would do it if I were retired and had nothing else to do and wanted to go on a road trip. Maybe that's many of the guys who work it....old veterans retired from their jobs who want to give back something to the community. I would definately do it if I were put in those shoes...but unfortunately, I'm not.

Maybe, if your really lucky, someday you will be.:rolleyes:

LMan Fri Jun 30, 2006 08:31am

Its somewhat amusing to see 6 umpires trip over themselves on a 60' field at the LLWS...I've always thought that was 2 umps too many.

How can 6 umpires be gainfully employed in a 10U game?

briancurtin Fri Jun 30, 2006 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref49873
working games of top level 10U teams.

there are top level 10 year old teams? where?

BigUmp56 Fri Jun 30, 2006 09:37pm

I talked to a coach who's taken a 12U team there before. He told me that there are teams that play there that actually recruit a national pick up team of 12 year olds to play in the tournament. He said one team flew 6 players in from all over the country to field a stud team. Someone needs a new perspective on what youth baseball is supposed to be about.

Tim.