The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

for all you HSM wearers

Just curious if you wear a plate or combo cap under your HSM. I noticed an MLB umpire on TV last night that did. That's the first time I've noticed...maybe not paying attention before.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

$.02 worth .............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
Just curious if you wear a plate or combo cap under your HSM. I noticed an MLB umpire on TV last night that did. That's the first time I've noticed...maybe not paying attention before.
I wear a combo hat under my HSM. Only pulled hat off once during game. Takes a little practice to take helmet off without taking the hat, but "looks" better than the bare head, IMHO.

Doug
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I've worn combo hat under my HSM in colder weather with no problems. When it's warm or hot, forget it!
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
If you were watching the Cleveland vs. Chicago game, I saw it also.

I was totally surprised the first time I saw that guy take off his helmet, to see a cap. He is the first MLB HSM wearer I have seen do that.

I have both sizes of the All-Start helmet he was wearing. I currently wear the Small size, now that it is available. I can get a 4 stitch cap to fit under both, but it is really uncomfortable. 6 stitch or larger is out of the question. If I HAD to do it, I would go back to wearing my Large size. But then the helmet would not fit properly, so I would be concerned about protection.

Wearing a cap really cuts down your visibility, because it causes the helmet to ride up, bringing the bottom bar into your field of view, and the brim of the cap sticks out of the cage, closing off the top part of your view. It's as bad as wearing a Mask and Cap. Tunnel vision all over again.

The other thing I noticed, and would expect, is how hot it got, just sitting in front of the TV. An HSM is designed with cooling vents, that get blocked off by a cap. Did you notice that the umpire was continually wiping sweat from below his eyes, during an evening game where his partners were wearing jackets ?

He also was using two hands to remove and put his HSM on. You only need one (left) hand normally, without a cap. I found it was not possible to use one hand with a cap.

HSM's are not designed to have a cap worn under them, so I wonder what implications that creates with respect to Product Warranty, and Protection Liability for the companies manufacturing them.

Here are the possible reasons for wearing a cap that I can think of;
  • Under pressure from MLB or Mentor to wear it.
  • Not ready to make the complete switch to new technology.
  • Doesn't know your not supposed to wear a cap under an HSM.
  • Didn't want everyone to see his Ponytail.

Nick

Last edited by nickrego; Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 03:43pm.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
I believe that the MLB umpire you are referring to is Bill Welke. I have seen him do it on several occasions. I do not wear a hat under my mask. Welke is the only pro umpire i have seen wear a hat under his helmet. Mark Wegner, Gary Cederstrom and C.B. Bucknor are the only ones that come to mind who wear the HSM and do not wear a hat. But I know that several others do.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBUMP99
I believe that the MLB umpire you are referring to is Bill Welke. I have seen him do it on several occasions. I do not wear a hat under my mask. Welke is the only pro umpire i have seen wear a hat under his helmet. Mark Wegner, Gary Cederstrom and C.B. Bucknor are the only ones that come to mind who wear the HSM and do not wear a hat. But I know that several others do.
Ed Hickox wears one under his helmet. I do not. I don't know what I have to do with this discussion, just my couple of pennies.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Those masks look totally silly. I will NEVER wear one.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Doesn't the HSM completely wreck a perfectly good hat?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
Those masks look totally silly. I will NEVER wear one.
Your right, a MASK does look totally silly. That's why everyone should wear a Hockey Style Helmet (HSM).

Resistance is futile !

Nick
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever. Have your silly looking headgear. You guys look totally ridiculous in them.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 06:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Whatever. Have your silly looking headgear. You guys look totally ridiculous in them.
Oh, please. The number of catchers in helmets in youth/HS/college ball outnumbers the ones in masks.

I don't give a crap how it looks to anyone. I see better in it and feel better protected. And it would be a cold day in hell before I wore a hat under one.

This is the first season I haven't worn a traditional mask at all. I'll let you know if I can bear the heat/sweat come July, though.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lighten up pdxblue.

Funny thing about this HSM vs. Mask controversy, is it only exists between umpires !

Nobody else cares...They only care about how good an umpire is. Our customers (fans, players, coaches) don't care if we dress like Lady Godiva, as long as we call a technically perfect game.

Me, I couldn't care less which my partner chooses. I'd rather work with a partner that 'works' good, rather than only 'looks' good. Get it ?

Nick
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

"Is better to look Good then to Feel Good, you know what I'm saying to you Darling!" Fernando

Because "You look MAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVAlous"
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
Lighten up pdxblue.

Funny thing about this HSM vs. Mask controversy, is it only exists between umpires !

Nobody else cares...They only care about how good an umpire is. Our customers (fans, players, coaches) don't care if we dress like Lady Godiva, as long as we call a technically perfect game.

Me, I couldn't care less which my partner chooses. I'd rather work with a partner that 'works' good, rather than only 'looks' good. Get it ?
That may all be so, but to me, you look ridiculous!
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
Lighten up pdxblue.

Our customers (fans, players, coaches) don't care if we dress like Lady Godiva, as long as we call a technically perfect game.
I couldn't disagree more.