The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   New Honig's K1 Protector (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26888-new-honigs-k1-protector.html)

Southside Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:51am

New Honig's K1 Protector

Honig's seems to have introduced a new harness system for their K1 protector this year. Has anyone tried it? How does it compare to the old-fashioned Y-straps?

nickrego Mon Jun 05, 2006 05:25pm

Great !

I purchased a new K1 this year to replace my old one. The new one has the new harness.

It is light years better than a standard harness. It kind of hugs you in a gentile way. It keeps your protector exactly where you want it, but you can't feel it. It is also very easy to attach and adjust the fit without help. I have had no trouble with it what's so ever, and I am very happy with the change. But then, I'm known to embrace change (I wear an HSM).

At the time I purchased mine, the harness was only available on Black. That may be different now, as at the time they were running a market test.

I think this new harness is an excellent upgrade, to an already good product.

mbyron Tue Jun 06, 2006 07:35am

I also have the new K1. The new harness system was available only on the black model (and I was so eager to try the yellow one!).

For those who haven't seen it: rather than the traditional Y strap in the back of the chest protector, the new K1 uses a mesh that attaches to both shoulders and then has a belt with velcro ends that attaches in front.

I had used the +POS BB2000 previously, which I found bulky and hot, though it provided great protection. It also did not fit me very well, and I was constantly adjusting it during games to make sure that the collar bone protection was in place.

The K1 is MUCH lighter and less bulky. I haven't had a hot game yet, so I don't know how much cooler it is, but it stays in place great. I agree with Nick that it seems to "hug" you.

I took a couple shots to the shoulders in a varsity games this spring, and barely felt it. One of the shots was hard into the left shoulder, and the ball went flying into the air - the home dugout emptied, figuring I was a goner, but I hardly felt a thing!

The thing looks a little ticky-tack, with thin plastic plates on the shoulder. But so far, the protection seems to be excellent. It is easy to clean and carry around, as it rolls up and is very light. I would recommend it without reservation.

nickrego Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
It is easy to clean

You can throw it in the washing machine ! I have been cleaning mine (old and new one) several times a year by doing that. Just hang it to dry, and it comes out like brand new, rather than Pee Euw !

LMan Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickrego
I It kind of hugs you in a gentile way.

Hmmmmm, that doesn't sound exactly 'kosher' to me ;)

nickrego Tue Jun 06, 2006 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan

Hey...Umpires don't get many hugs. We have to take what we can get. :rolleyes:

mbyron Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:11am

Pearls before swine, LMan. Keep your chin up.

irefky Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan

I'm not so sure I want one, what kinda freak would sell something like that?

Did you say you got it at the Hustler Shop?