The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

This also just happened in the ACC D-1 Championship game between Clemson and NC State. Shot hits ump in "C" off the foot, and crew takes a Clemson run off the board and returns runner to 3B.

Clemson coach was cool about it, though. No tantrum.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Rats won't like the lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Folks,

Of course, the Bellarmine coach is ejected.
Bob maybe there's more exposure these days, but it seems as though no matter what level, coaches go ballistic when something like this happens.

Coaches in the HS and Collegiate level should keep their cool and should take a lesson from Socia of the Angels.

During last year's bizzare play Socia handled the incident with class. He went out, said his peace with the umpiring crew and went back to the dugout. He didn't lambash the umpiring crew in the post game interview. He was upset but didn't loose his cool. He concentrated on the "REAL" issue, the Angels were not hitting.

It's time for both High Schools and Colleges to start handing down stiffer penalties to coaches who go ballistic. A suspension and a Substantial Fine. When a coach goes ballistic what is he teaching his players? If all that happens in one's life is an umpire interference call or a bad call for that matter, they should "thank their lucky stars"

In addition IMO, the metal bat has ruined the game. I myself set-up in a deeper "B" / "C" slot then I would normally do if the teams were using wood. I almost "bought the farm" one day because it's difficult to react to a shot off of a metal bat.

Pete Booth
Didn't Socia's team sit out the World Series?
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for this 'heads up'
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer
yes...and?
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Wonderful, he's beginning to nit pick grammar and speeling.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

It's all about winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer
yes...and?
Sorry for being terse.

Pete Booth suggested that more rats should follow Coach. Socia's example. (Of course, Pete, not being naive, also suggests that leagues should enforce this rather than waiting for spontaneous good behavior.)

Given that Socia's team lost the game and the series in question, I doubt if a certain class of rat would find the example illuminating. Enforcement might work, though.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I apologize for my cut off post last night. I had just started it when I received a phone call from my son. I am now a "grampa!" Anyway, I thought that I had deleted my post but apparently hit the submit button by mistake. Here is the sitch. HS pre-district elimination game. Home team is up 14-0 in bottom of 3rd. Runners on 1st & 2nd. One out. Batter hits screamer at my partner in C. Ball hit him in the left heel as he bailed toward 3rd base line. Ball deflected over 2nd base into center field. I called "dead ball" and killed the play. Returned runners to TOP bases and made it a do over. This batter walked to load the bases and the next batter got the game ending hit. Did I administer it correctly? By the way, I had just read the post by Bob P. so thanks for the heads up.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes1950
Here is the sitch. HS pre-district elimination game. Home team is up 14-0 in bottom of 3rd. Runners on 1st & 2nd. One out. Batter hits screamer at my partner in C. Ball hit him in the left heel as he bailed toward 3rd base line. Ball deflected over 2nd base into center field. I called "dead ball" and killed the play. Returned runners to TOP bases and made it a do over. This batter walked to load the bases and the next batter got the game ending hit. Did I administer it correctly? By the way, I had just read the post by Bob P. so thanks for the heads up.
No, you didn't get it right. You should have advanced forced runners one base, the BR gets first base to load the bases. The official scorer gives the batter a single.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
No, you didn't get it right. You should have advanced forced runners one base, the BR gets first base to load the bases. The official scorer gives the batter a single.
Yes, you are correct. Thank you. I looked at the "Dead Ball and Delayed Dead Ball Table" in the Fed Book. It indicates that batter is awarded a single and runners who are forced to advance do so. Learning something every day.