The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Make the call (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26639-make-call.html)

cmckenna Fri May 19, 2006 08:44am

Make the call

I want to see what the ruling would be on the following sitch. I want to know myself what the proper ruling(s) would be because I am not sure. I will tell you what the umps did after some replies.

1 out, runner on second.

Pitcher delivers a pitch to the batter. On the pitch, runner breaks for third. Batter swings at pitch and misses.

Here is where I hope I explain this so you can visualize....

After the swing, catcher comes up throws the ball to 3rd. The ball on the throw hits the bat. The catcher threw behind the batter while his bat was still behind him from his swing. There was no intent from the batter to interfere

What do you have. (hope I was clear in the explanation)

Dave Hensley Fri May 19, 2006 08:47am

Live ball, play the bounce.

orioles35 Fri May 19, 2006 08:55am

Yep, I've got nothing, play on...as long as there wasn't any intention to interfere with the catcher either with the bat or trying to get in his way. If he's standing in the box, ball is live.

Tim C Fri May 19, 2006 09:01am

Yep,

Play on, McDuff.

Regards,

mcrowder Fri May 19, 2006 09:11am

I believe 100% of the umpires here will tell you that the correct "non-call" here is play on... so what did the umps on the scene do? (And what happened to the ball after it hit the bat?)

cmckenna Fri May 19, 2006 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
I believe 100% of the umpires here will tell you that the correct "non-call" here is play on... so what did the umps on the scene do? (And what happened to the ball after it hit the bat?)

Here is what they did....

Batter out for interference, runner out because they determined that the throw would have made it to 3rd in time to retire the runner.

mcrowder Fri May 19, 2006 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmckenna
Here is what they did....

Batter out for interference, runner out because they determined that the throw would have made it to 3rd in time to retire the runner.

And how did this resolve when the manager protested?

RPatrino Fri May 19, 2006 10:07am

Ouch, that one hurt!! What level of play was this? They picked a booger for sure!!

Bob P.

mcrowder Fri May 19, 2006 10:18am

Picking boogers is going out of your way to take something irrelevant and making it relevant (sniping for inappropriate comments made 90 feet away, etc). Or maybe making a "by-the-book" call on an insignificant violation (LL: R1 on third lifts his left foot - the only one on the bag - to scratch the ankle and puts it right back down - you drop the flag for leaving early)

This one wasn't picking boogers - it was just wrong.

cmckenna Fri May 19, 2006 10:53am

Middle School game - FED Rules. Coaches probably had no clue.

I was watching the HS varsity on the other field (the first base line fences are shared by the 2 fields so i was pretty close) and one of the MS parents who knows me asked what the correct ruling should be. I provided no answer at the time because I did not see the whole thing for myself and I try not to comment on brother officials actions to fans.

My thought was.... No intent to interfere... play on. Why reward the catcher for making a bad throw.

RPatrino Fri May 19, 2006 03:10pm

In my mind, 'picking a booger' is when you do something either by omission, commission, ignorance or arrogance that ends up making more trouble for you then it is worth.

You call it what you will.

Bob P.

mcrowder Fri May 19, 2006 03:30pm

OK. But even under your definition, does this fit? Not so much a booger picking as just a screwup - probably didn't cause these umpires any extra heartache at all.

RPatrino Fri May 19, 2006 04:10pm

Let's not split semantic follicles. Per my definition this is an error of commission and/or ignorance that could have been prevented.

Bob P.

mbyron Sat May 20, 2006 07:40am

C'mon guys, not one mistake here, but two!

1. They called the batter out for interference (wrong: the batter is afforded a complete opportunity to hit the pitch, and is not expected to disappear just because F2 needs to throw to 3B),

AND

2. they called R2 out because the throw "would have made it in time!" (wrong: on batter interference, wait to see whether F2's first throw retires a runner - if so, ignore the interference, if not, call the batter out, not the runner - never a DP for batter interference).

Ugh.

jkumpire Sat May 20, 2006 10:32am

I've heard worse....

This is a true story from about a month ago.

HS Varsity game, R2 is trying to steal 3B. BR takes piche right down the middle, thigh high.

F2 comes up throwing, hits BR in the helmet and then the ball hits the bat and rolls down the line in foul ground. BR is doing nothing but standng there in the batters box.

F2 says, "What's going on, that's a dead ball" as he watches R2 score.

"No it isn't, he didn't interfere with you, you hit him with the throw."

"Yes it's a dead ball, I've had four other umpires call that play the same way Blue."

I then call time after R2 scores, brush off the plate, and look up at F2 and say, "I'm sorry son, what can I tell you? Your umpire friends have been wrong four times, and you got lucky. But that ain't today. Life's tough some days, isn't it?" :rolleyes: