The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Cooperstown Dreams Park - Week 2

If there any umpires on here interested in attending Cooperstown Dreams Park this summer, I've got a connection for you.

A Fellow Umpire in My Town Has A Team That Is Paying For His Expenses To Attend During Week 2 With The Team.

He Can't Go That Week Afterall and Would Like To Get Someone To Fill His Place.

If you are interested in going, please let me know!

I hope this post doesn't become an area where people say how dumb it is to attend there and work for "Free"

I am going week 6 with a team and this will be my third year making the trip!
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seioaump

I hope this post doesn't become an area where people say how dumb it is to attend there and work for "Free"

[seinfeld] "Good luck with that." [/seinfeld]

Old Thu May 18, 2006, 01:49pm

If you want to volunteer your time and expenses to go there and umpire for free, more power to you. I commend your dedication to the game. If I could afford financially to do the same, I would consider it.

On the other hand, capitalizing every word in sentences is open season for negative comments!

Edited for spelling, which I wouldn't normally do, but I guess a certain person couldn't understand the post without it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue May 23, 2006 at 01:02am.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Option for Cooperstown Umpires

First off, I want to agree. I have attended CDP for 3 years now & it is an amazing & very satisfying experience for Umpires to meet others from all parts of the USA & Canada. I can hardly wait to return this year for week four.

As far a getting another Umpire to attend - The Cooperstown Dreams Park Staff keep a list of Umpires who are interested/willing to be part of their "Adopt-an-Ump" Prog - for Umpires who are willing to be "adopted" by a team. As an example - I'm from Canada & was "adopted" by a Team from the Baltimore area - For Free.

No cost to the Team & if it helps them great!!

So...in answer to the Post - have the Team contact CDP & see if there are any Umps already registered to go that week.

For the rest of you....give up a week & go!!! Great times - great fun - new friends.
Allan
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
If you want to volunteer your time and expenses to go there and umpire for free, more power to you. I commend your dedication to the game. If I could afford financially to to the same, I would consider it.
When you factor in the fact that you get free room and board during the week, a free ticket to the Hall of Fame, and a bunch of schwag (shirts, jackets, ballbags, etc.), it may be more affordable than you think. If you look at it as a subsidized baseball vacation, it's a pretty economical way to spend a week, with some great fringe benefits. A buddy and I attended CDP a few years ago - flew in from Dallas, rented a car, took in a Minor League game, saw the Hall of Fame, umpired a butt-load of 12 year old baseball games, ate a ton of babysitter food, experienced shaving, showering and sh---ing with 40 other middle aged hairy guys in a communal setting, all for under $400 each.

The travel costs would probably be more these days, and now that I've been there and done that I have no real burning desire to repeat the experience, but I'm glad I went.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
umpired a butt-load of 12 year old baseball games, ate a ton of babysitter food, experienced shaving, showering and sh---ing with 40 other middle aged hairy guys in a communal setting, all for under $400 each.
ill pass on all of that
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 01:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
umpired a butt-load of 12 year old baseball games, ate a ton of babysitter food, experienced shaving, showering and sh---ing with 40 other middle aged hairy guys in a communal setting, all for under $400 each.
Gosh you make it sound so tempting, but I'll pass on that stuff too.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
This will be my 1st year attending CDP. Im going the last two weeks. I have heard a lot of great things about the park... Just my .02
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Went to CDP 3 years ago as a Dad, not an ump. Best baseball Dad week ever.
Made friends with two Cobb county umps. Great guys.
The association in Cobb county uses CDP as training for their umps. They bring 4 to 8 guys down every year, do a boatload of games get evaluated, work on mechanics and go over situations. Kind of like a mini school but fun and relatively cheap. I think it's a great idea for an association.

I'm planning to go in a few years when the rest of my kids grow up.