The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Did you see this ejection? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26551-did-you-see-ejection.html)

alabamabluezebra Mon May 15, 2006 01:22pm

Did you see this ejection?

This incident happened in the Ole Miss-Arkansas game this weekend. What punishment should he receive for his behavior?

Arkansas Catcher Ejected

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 15, 2006 01:30pm

Well, at least he held on to the bat when he thrust it in the umpire's direction. I think whatever the proscribed punishment for being ejected is should be sufficient. No penalty for the bad acting when the ball supposedly hit his elbow. What a maroon.

briancurtin Mon May 15, 2006 01:34pm

my guess would be 3-4 games or so, but i dont know how the penalties go in NCAA.

as for the faking getting hit, he could have chose a better pitch to fake. hes also smiling a few times when hes holding his elbow, which i thought was kind of funny.

mrm21711 Mon May 15, 2006 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin
my guess would be 3-4 games or so, but i dont know how the penalties go in NCAA.

as for the faking getting hit, he could have chose a better pitch to fake. hes also smiling a few times when hes holding his elbow, which i thought was kind of funny.

Kudos to the PU

Rich Mon May 15, 2006 02:32pm

I'd call the batter a rat, but I can't find a font big enough.

The coach ought to toss him off the team for that.

LakeErieUmp Mon May 15, 2006 02:45pm

The batter should get a serious sanction - unless of course the PU was a scab!!!

LMan Mon May 15, 2006 02:58pm

Another honor graduate of the Delmon Young Charm School. Mr Walker needs that bat stuck up his *****.

...just an amateur opinion, though.

LMan Mon May 15, 2006 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
The batter should get a serious sanction - unless of course the PU was a scab!!!

:rolleyes: ya know, this stopped being humorous about 50 posts ago.

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 15, 2006 03:11pm

Except if you said it LMan. You are ROTF funny!

Justme Mon May 15, 2006 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Except if you said it LMan. You are ROTF funny!

I know for a fact that Nelson Graham isn't one of those SCAB MiLB umpires that can be found working some college/high school games.

I wonder how one of The Perfect 220 would have handled it? :)

RPatrino Mon May 15, 2006 03:40pm

I have heard that the Arkansas Drama program is very highly rated.

Bob P.

Rich Mon May 15, 2006 03:45pm

Let's be honest, the plate umpire couldn't have handled it any better. He got the call right on the pitch and didn't over-react to the bad acting job by the player. And when the player jabbed the bat towards him, he ejected properly.

I understand the coach protecting the player, but there are just some ejections that shouldn't be argued very strongly and this is one of them.

socalblue1 Mon May 15, 2006 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Let's be honest, the plate umpire couldn't have handled it any better. He got the call right on the pitch and didn't over-react to the bad acting job by the player. And when the player jabbed the bat towards him, he ejected properly.

I understand the coach protecting the player, but there are just some ejections that shouldn't be argued very strongly and this is one of them.

Well handled by the PU & his crew members. At least one BU was between the dugout & PU within seconds of the EJ, ensuring the PU was 1-1 w/head coach.

The only thing missing is the audio btw PU & batter (we can all read lips), if for nothing more than to see how well the PU handled the entire incident.

Rich Mon May 15, 2006 05:37pm

I can't believe the dishonesty. Is Walker such a Neanderthal that he doesn't understand the concept of "video?" And the head rat? Jeez.

At least the annoucers seemed to have a clue for once.

--------------------------
Walker had argued he was hit on the previous pitch, appearing to grimace in pain while clutching his elbow. He put up a brief argument before digging back in against Bukvich. But after he struck out swinging, Walker said something to home plate umpire Nelson Graham and was quickly ejected.

Walker then continued to argue with Graham before Van Horn came down from third base to pick up the argument.

"The ball hit me and he said it didn't and what he says goes and that's just the way it is," Walker said. "I didn't agree with it, simple as that and I guess he didn't want to hear it.

"I didn't say anything. All I said was that I didn't agree with the call. I didn't use any words that I wouldn't use around little kids. From then on, it changed the game."

Van Horn also said he didn't think Walker did enough to warrant an ejection.

WhatWuzThatBlue Mon May 15, 2006 05:47pm

Okay, this is a great example of what happens in D1. This crew handled it well, I say crew because three guys worked to keep the offender off the field, the assistants at bay and they resumed play quickly.

I don't worry about the penalty - submit the form and contact the proper administrators - let them handle it. NCAA ball has penalties that vary according to the offender's history. If this was his first offense, he'll likely get an additional game suspension, that is all. He thrust his bat at the PU but did not make contact and immediately walked away - in fact, he was retreating when the incident occured. Further, he barked a little in the dugout, but then went into the team clubhouse pretty quickly. The only audio I could hear from him said 'That was horrible.', but he probably dropped a "darn" or "heck" in there somewhere. ;)

The PU did a nice job and handled a catcher (who should know better) very well. For those who still don't think that a good D1 crew couldn't possibly handle anything higher than that level...