The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Follow up on ump hit by the bat (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26475-follow-up-ump-hit-bat.html)

fonzzy07 Tue May 09, 2006 11:10pm

Follow up on ump hit by the bat

hey guys i didn't see this posted so I thought I'd post it.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2438919
Do you think the punishment is fair?

SanDiegoSteve Tue May 09, 2006 11:25pm

Say what?

He "flipped the bat underhand????????"

And the Titanic was a rowboat!:rolleyes:

BigUmp56 Tue May 09, 2006 11:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzzy07
hey guys i didn't see this posted so I thought I'd post it.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2438919
Do you think the punishment is fair?

H@11 no, I don't think it's fair! This puke will be able to come back and earn $350,000 because the IL didn't suspend him for the rest of the season. He should have been done for the remainder of the 2006 season.

Tim.

tmp44 Tue May 09, 2006 11:40pm

Man I'm Good...

Well I put the over/under on how long he would be suspended at 50 in the original post so, yea, it's fair :D. In all honesty, I do think 50 games is a good call, although I just wonder if the penalty would have been more if he actually would have injured the ump....

tmp44 Tue May 09, 2006 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
"It's an unfortunate incident and there should be no place for actions like that in the game of baseball", the umpire said in a statement released by Pawtucket, "Any official should not be treated like that. He embarrassed himself and his teammates".

Poor little scab making a statement about how people should be treated. He helps PBUC stab the AMLU umpires in the back, and he feels mistreated. Maybe scab boy should have thought about that before he took the job. Kind of like the AMLU umpires who knew what they were getting into when the signed their crappy contracts. Does this sound familiar?

If he has hard feelings about the job, he can just "quit" like the striking umpires. No, he will just cry about his shabby treatment and not even reveal his name. A real manly man, wouldn't you say.

He wanted to drive in the fast lane, he just doesn't want to go over the speed limit.:p

Here we go again...I think I'll get a super-sized box of popcorn for this one :rolleyes: :( .

SanDiegoSteve Wed May 10, 2006 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
"It's an unfortunate incident and there should be no place for actions like that in the game of baseball", the umpire said in a statement released by Pawtucket, "Any official should not be treated like that. He embarrassed himself and his teammates".

Poor little scab making a statement about how people should be treated. He helps PBUC stab the AMLU umpires in the back, and he feels mistreated. Maybe scab boy should have thought about that before he took the job. Kind of like the AMLU umpires who knew what they were getting into when they signed their crappy contracts. Does this sound familiar?

If he has hard feelings about the job, he can just "quit" like the striking umpires. No, he will just cry about his shabby treatment and not even reveal his name. A real manly man, wouldn't you say.

He wanted to drive in the fast lane, he just doesn't want to go over the speed limit.:p

Once again, you missed the point. Young deserved to be ejected, and the umpire did not deserve a bat to the chest. That is the point. Your anti-scab argument is moot. Not "mute" as you would incorrectly say.:)

bobbybanaduck Wed May 10, 2006 12:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmp44
Well I put the over/under on how long he would be suspended at 50 in the original post so, yea, it's fair :D. In all honesty, I do think 50 games is a good call, although I just wonder if the penalty would have been more if he actually would have injured the ump....

looks like our bet was a push. damn over/unders.

that guy's name is common knowledge in my neck of the woods. i'm not gonna post it, but i might share if you wanna message me.

RPatrino Wed May 10, 2006 10:31am

I wish we could "MUTE" him.....hahaha

Bob P.

Stripes1950 Wed May 10, 2006 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
He "flipped the bat underhand????????"

And the Titanic was a rowboat!:rolleyes:

It looked to me like it was thrown underhand but it's still a bat and a guy in blue. Bad move, Delmon!

SanDiegoSteve Wed May 10, 2006 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes1950
It looked to me like it was thrown underhand but it's still a bat and a guy in blue. Bad move, Delmon!

You can throw objects underhand pretty darn fast, as do fastpitch softball pitchers. My objection was with the word "flipped." That bat was "winged" at the umpire as it bounced off of him a good 6 ft. at least.

Speaking of "flipped," how about Bernie Williams intentionally throwing his helmet at the umpire? Totally bush, and old washed up Bernie should get a few days off for that stunt. Now if it had been an AMLU umpire working the game, it would never have happened.:rolleyes: :D