The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Lets discuss some different NEW Technology (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26469-lets-discuss-some-different-new-technology.html)

nickrego Tue May 09, 2006 03:42pm

Lets discuss some different NEW Technology

Enough about Mask vs. HSM...Lets talk about Paper vs. Electronic

Last year, our association started using the Arbiter.net to schedule, notify, display, and pay our umpires.

Great System !

Problem is, you have to have email to get your notifications, and you have to have Internet access to accept and view your games.

20% of our association is fighting it tooth and nail. I understand that not everyone wants to have, or can afford to have, a computer with Internet access. Some have taken the suggestion of using a HotMail type of email account, and a public library computer. But for those that refuse, our assigner is forced to still call or fax those members.

What method does your association use ?

mcrowder Tue May 09, 2006 04:04pm

Right now, I'm using the excel spreadsheet, email, and walk next door methods of scheduling, informing umpires of assignments, and finding out who can work when. It's very high-tech.

David B Tue May 09, 2006 04:04pm

Arbiter works well

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickrego
Enough about Mask vs. HSM...Lets talk about Paper vs. Electronic

Last year, our association started using the Arbiter.net to schedule, notify, display, and pay our umpires.

Great System !

Problem is, you have to have email to get your notifications, and you have to have Internet access to accept and view your games.

20% of our association is fighting it tooth and nail. I understand that not everyone wants to have, or can afford to have, a computer with Internet access. Some have taken the suggestion of using a HotMail type of email account, and a public library computer. But for those that refuse, our assigner is forced to still call or fax those members.

What method does your association use ?

We started with the Arbiter system this year and at first I didn't like it (used it during basketball)

But its gotten better and better.

Really a good system as far as contacting partners and it really makes it easier for the schools to get the information on umpires etc., (speeds up the checks)

I thought it would be a problem in baseball with all of the changes for rainouts etc, but its worked great.

Thanks
David

bossman72 Tue May 09, 2006 04:04pm

High school uses a combination of both internet and phone call. The internet is more of a schedule "bulletin board" where there is no interaction with the umpires. It's just "read only."

Summer is done the old fashioned way.

RPatrino Tue May 09, 2006 05:09pm

One HS association uses the "old fashioned" way. Games are listed on an excel spreadsheet, which are snail mailed or handed to us in a meeting. We turn in "acceptance" sheets (at the meeting, via fax or snail mail) , and get paid after we turn in a "invoice" via snail mail. This has worked fairly well. We rely on partner contact via phone, as we don't use email. The drawbacks are numerous. One glaring one is that if your partner listed on the schedule does not accept the game, you are not notified. You attempt to make partner contact and the person you contact is NOT your partner, has no idea who your partner is. You have to call the assigner to find out this information.

The other HS association I work with uses Arbiter, and payments are made via Paypal (if you want). The difference is like night and day. Odds are if you have email you also have internet access. I suspect that more then 90% of people have both.

Bob P.

Tim C Tue May 09, 2006 05:42pm

Hmm,

In Portland we are in our third year of internet assigining.

We do not allow anyone any other form of assignment retriveal, IOW, you go to our reftown website and accept or decline your assignments. We have an e-mail system that informs umpires of changes and confirms an umpires reaction to all assignments.

We have both a "rain out line" that umpires are required to call 90 minutes before a game but we also have an e-mail system to noitify of cancellations or rescheduling.

With over 10,000 games scheduled each season we would have a far greater problem with a call in or mail system.

While I cannot say our system works perfectly I would give it a 99% rating for ease, coordination and consistency.

When you get to an association of 100 umpires it seems unrealistic to do things longhand.

BTW, we do require that all umpires communicate to confirm crew dress, parking locations and any other important details.

Regards,

mrm21711 Tue May 09, 2006 05:52pm

Around Here...

In 2005, we switched UIC's and transfered to an email distribution of schedules. With over 200+ umpires, I cant imagine how many hours it saves in phone calls. Our emails look like this:

PLEASE CONFIRM

Day/Date/Time/Location/Level/Gender/Ref/Ump/Serial #

It isnt web based like the Arbiter, but 99% of the association loves it.

BlueLawyer Tue May 09, 2006 06:28pm

Northwest Arkansas

We use Assign by Web. It works well for routine scheduling but does not do so hot for last minute rainouts or switches, for obvious reasons. I still like it 100% better than the old paper-and-phone method.

Strikes and outs!

JIGGY Tue May 09, 2006 07:53pm

There is another program which was initially developed far before those that exist today (was used in the state of Ohio) that is being updated and will be ready for release within the next 90 days. The integrated functionality and flexibility of this system is far better than anything out there. Stay tuned and pm for details...

moorg Tue May 09, 2006 07:58pm

130+ umpires. We use the Arbiter for the high school season. Love it.

bossman72 Tue May 09, 2006 08:19pm

Tee,

What do you guys do for some of the older fellas who don't have internet access?

ajjl22 Tue May 09, 2006 08:34pm

Around 300 member association, Over 10,000 games assigned a year.

Our assignor uses email system. In the November before the season starts he calls for availabilities (which are filled out on our association webpage) and we receive a contract in mid-January. He then sends out emails (waves) of the open games a couple times a week. If you want a game you reply to the email and he replies back if you got the game or not. He also sends changes via email. He also posts open games on our association webpage were you can request the game. Summer is assigned only by emails waves.

The assignor also once a week sends out the “bible.” This is a list of every game that every member of the association is assigned to work. Each person is supposed to double-check against his schedule and reply if something is wrong.

Tim C Wed May 10, 2006 08:06am

"Old Guys"

Our membership has been told that all are required to have internet access.

We have a handful of members that go to a local library and use the public access terminals.

Regards,

DG Wed May 10, 2006 10:59pm

How does the handfull who don't have internet/email access keep up with the latest rules and interps? They are not as informed about the minor league strike, the latest rule discussion on white on the pitcher's glove, or the most recent changes in MLB rules (apparently unpublished). Wait, this simpler life may have some benefits..

I got assignments in the mail up until 3 years ago. I sent closeout dates were sent in the mail. Now, my assignors are email savy and I get assignments by email and send closeout dates by email.