The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

I would be interested to know if anyone has an opinion on the West Vest Mask vs. the POS single bar vs. the POS double bar. I have been using the POS resin mask for years and love it, but a friend had a foul tip cave the mask in, break his nose and then popped back out. To look at the mask, you wouldn't know it had done that! So, I'm a little concerned to use it for high school and adult baseball.
I would appreciate any feedback on the subject.
Thanks.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Smile masks

if i were you i would look into all star head gear available from http://www.gerrydavis.com ive had mine for a couple years and it works great.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy sorry but .....

I wouldn't use a resin mask if it was free $ !!!
Three seasons ago, I witnessed my partner take a similar shot.
A batter fouled one off, straight into his mask. The ball drove the crossbars back into his face and the ball hit him so hard on the nose that it let stitch marks.
Had to give my partner credit, he never when down from that shot..... ;-) The sadder part was, it happened in the 2nd inning and he toughed it out the rest of the game with a major headache!
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Buster
I had a POS double bar and foul balls bent the top double bar constantly. The result was effectively a wide single bar under each eye and that caused me to loose sight of part of the plate. I purchased a West Vest and LOVE IT. Yes it is a heavy mask compared to many but that just has never bothered me and I am a small guy.
I also used the POS chest protecter and a foul ball found the spot between pads and I ended up with two badly brused ribs. I also purchased the Standard West Vest and that was without question the best purchase I have ever made. I have taken some SERIOUS shots and you just don't feel a thing.

Buster
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

I love my west vest mask.

Light weight, great field of vision, strong and reliable.

Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 07:50pm
Michael Taylor

The West Vest is a good mask with good vision. I use the POS resin mask and haven't had a problem and I wear glasses. You might want to consider the Honig mask also. I've used it and like it too. The only problem I had with it is it's a "V" type mask where the resin mask is flatter. It's not bad just different.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I used the West Vest mask this past year, after my beloved All-Star lightweight double-bar mask got bent (catcher couldn't catch a 80+ fastball, but I stopped it - with my face!)

The WV wasn't as light as the others, nor do I have as much extra visibility as I thought I would with a single bar mask.

That being said, I love the WV. It's not the lightest, but it's very solid. I feel very secure. I know it's well made. I took a few fouls dead on and the mask didn't bend and I hardly felt a thing.

The best thing about it I can say is this: If I lost my WV today, I'd buy another one tomorrow, instead of trying something else.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

so, a single bar is better than a double. I am going to purchase one from honigs, and sell my other one, it is light weight single bar mask, would this be better than a $40 mask from a local sporting goods store? Thanks
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 05:00pm
Michael Taylor

if you're asking is a honig better than a local sporting good mask, absolutely. Weight and fit will be your starting points.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

I am now trying to sell my old mask on ebay for $30, i used it about 3 times, and it is in excellent condition, so i'll see how that goes. If it doesn't sell, i'll take it to the association meeting.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2001, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
POS+ Mask Recall

Quote:
Originally posted by ump52
I would be interested to know if anyone has an opinion on the West Vest Mask vs. the POS single bar vs. the POS double bar. I have been using the POS resin mask for years and love it, but a friend had a foul tip cave the mask in, break his nose and then popped back out. To look at the mask, you wouldn't know it had done that! So, I'm a little concerned to use it for high school and adult baseball.
I would appreciate any feedback on the subject.
Thanks.
You mention that you have had the ultralight for years. I also purchased the POS+ resin mask BUT I purchased it after a re-call of similar earlier model masks. Regardless of whether or not you change masks you might want to check your particular model to see if it was recalled and if you may be entitled to a refund of some sort. You can alwats go to their website http://www.pluspos.com./ Jim/NYC