The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Missed bases! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26250-missed-bases.html)

Stripes1950 Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:28am

Missed bases!

There seems to be a lot of missed bases in the games that I have done this year. No one but me seems to notice either. Haven't had one appeal. I noticed three missed yesterday. First base once and home plate twice. Anyone else seeing the same thing?:confused:

LMan Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:02pm

well, if they were not appealed, then they didn't really miss them, did they? :D

bsk713 Thu Apr 27, 2006 07:46am

I see it all the time. To watch it, is almost like watching for mistakes in movies. Most people don't notice. But when they do, and there's an appeal, and you call the runner out, BULLETS FLY, because as I said, "Most people don't notice", (and a lot of times those "most people" are the offensive coaches).

TussAgee11 Fri Apr 28, 2006 03:42pm

I had a kid miss first base on a double by at least 6 inches. I was in A, pivoted in, and saw it clear as day. I took the runner into second base. As I begin to move to my C position for the next play, the first baseman yells over, "UMP HE MISSED 1st!" This is an AAU 15 game for goodness sake. I totally ignore him, the first base coach is yelling at me "No he didn't! No he didn't!" All the while people in the crowd start to get into it, and I'm just standing in C waiting. The pitcher was waiting as well; eventually my partner gave a couple of claps towards the pitcher to get the game going again, thank god. One of the more stupid moments of my umpiring career so far.

15 AAU, and nobody knows how to appeal?

Stripes1950 Fri Apr 28, 2006 09:23pm

It is almost like the coaches don't care or don't know about needing to appeal. When they put the appeal back into baseball, it was at the coaches request if memory serves me correctly. While I don't think that runners missing bases affects the game very much, I know that when I played, appeals were made all the time. Most were not upheld but occasionally we had a pretty good ump and he would watch to make sure the bases were touched. Well, just my $.02. Thanks for responding and have a great season!

David B Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:00pm

FED had it fixed once

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes1950
There seems to be a lot of missed bases in the games that I have done this year. No one but me seems to notice either. Haven't had one appeal. I noticed three missed yesterday. First base once and home plate twice. Anyone else seeing the same thing?:confused:

When FED let umpires call the runners out, they started touching the bags.

Since they've gone back to an appeal from the defense, players are missing the bases more and more.

And the players don't know how to watch for a missed base anymore either.

Thanks
David