The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Worst double-header in history! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26133-worst-double-header-history.html)

TwoBits Wed Apr 19, 2006 08:17am

Worst double-header in history!

Last week I did a double-header between a traditional top 10 school in Missouri Class 1 (small class) and a couple of traditional bottom 10 schools. The home school played both ends of the double header against the visiting schools in attempt to make up rainouts.

Game one: Home team scores 12 in the first and 10 in the second en route to a 37-1 win in 5 innings. Only mercy rule in Missouri is 10 runs after 5. Winning pitcher had a perfect game through 4 1/3 when he gave up a couple of Texas-leaguers to lose the no-no and the shutout.

Game two: Home team must have been worn out running the bases the previous game. This time they only won 21-2 in 5 innings. Both runs were given up in the fifth.

Anyone else ever had an afternoon like this?

blueump Wed Apr 19, 2006 08:20am

We did a JV tournament a few years ago in Jackson, Michigan. The varsity was also holding their tournament at the same time, so the JV tournament was held on the softball field. Fences were 215 all the way around...and the wind was blowing out. After a LOOOOOONG day, the championship ended 37-32. :eek:

LMan Wed Apr 19, 2006 08:21am

Only every third or fourth game or so.

mcrowder Wed Apr 19, 2006 08:45am

Worst one I can remember was about 40-39, TWO innings, in a tournament with a no-new-inning time limit of 75 minutes. It was a 2nd round loser bracket game, both teams sucked, and had used up their only decent pitcher in the first game.

First inning - walk, walk, walk, etc (pepper in some WP's and PB's for variety). One popup, and 2 outs at home on runners trying to score on a non-PB/WP. Bottom of the inning, same thing - I think one out was a strikeout. No lie, I'm starting to think i have my first ever 1 inning game, as the clock ticks down. 3rd out happens with 4 minutes to go. So we play another 50 minutes or so, shooting the wheels off the timing of the tournament.

If memory serves, Home team won with no outs in the bottom of the 2nd, after coach finally figured out there was no reason to ever send anyone home on a bad pitch, and they just walked and walked and walked until they scored run 40.

Funny thing was, with their decent pitcher back for game 3, they won, and then got crushed in game 4.

orioles35 Wed Apr 19, 2006 09:28am

Mine wasn't that bad, first game of a 15U tournament where we were getting $55 per game, but no time limit. Didn't figure it would be that bad. First game ends 22-17 in just under three hours. Meanwhile, the field next to us is flying through their game, way ahead of us and reach the fifth with a potential 10 run rule. We ended up finishing our game before they did and as my partner and I were walking out the other game was close to tied. The next day we found out the game went four and a half hours and finished close to midnight!

That $55 per game didn't seem so good then.

TwoBits Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:48am

I guess I can't really complain. At least blowouts are usually over quickly.

My son played in a 9 and under tournament with no time limit last year. In one game they were down 13 in the third inning and in danger of losing under the 15 in 3 rule. They mangaged to fight back and win the game in 7 innings, 29-28. 3 1/2 wild-pitching, no-fielding walkfest.

jwwashburn Thu Apr 20, 2006 09:12pm

I had a JV game last year. In Michigan, our mercy is 15 after 3 and 10 after 5.

In the top of the second, the visiting team took a 15-0 lead. The home team had one goo hitter, he smacked a home run. After 2, it is 15-1. Somehow, the visitors did not score in the third. 15-1 after three. No one scored in the fourth.

In the top of the 5th, the visitors scored 28 runs. During one of the pitching changes, the third base coach asked me to loosen the strike zone. I told him that I could only do so much. "Which one should I have called a strike? The one that bounced 6 feet in front of the plate, the one that sailed over the backstop or the grand slam your guy just hit?

I was impressed that the score board could display 20 and 30...and all the way to 43.

Joe

Carbide Keyman Sun Apr 23, 2006 09:09am

Now, now, you boys shouldn't be tellin' all of these horror stories. Most of the people who post here don't do games over an hour and a half because there sooooooooo good and only work "quality" teams games. :D :rolleyes: ;) :o

Doug

greymule Sun Apr 23, 2006 08:20pm

Trying to cite the worst game you ever saw is like trying to cite the worst movie you ever saw, but I'll throw mine in (although I didn't ump it):

My son's LL team traveled to a neighboring town to win an 11-9 game in which no batter on the opposing team made contact with the ball. Not even a foul tip.

seioaump Mon Apr 24, 2006 06:23am

Had a Varsity DH this past Saturday, started at 10 AM...

Final Score Of Game One: 17-8

Final Score Of Game Two: 19-13

Didn't find out what time it was at any point in either game, just knew it was a LONG afternoon. When we got in our car to leave after the game it was 5:00. Seven Hours - $90

Not to mention an hour drive each way...

Won't go there anymore...

IowaMike Mon Apr 24, 2006 07:54am

I did a Freshman boys double a few years back. First game was ok, I think 10-8. I had plate the second game, temp was about 94 degrees. Home team lost 27-2 in three innings. Home team coach came out to me after the third and said "that's it, we're done, they win." Fine with me. I think the home team issued 14 walks and the coach was complaining about it the entire game, which by the way took 2 hours and 10 minutes to play the three innings. The visiting team didn't issue a single walk. I was more than willing to stretch the strike zone, the visiting coach even asked me to but the home team pitchers weren't even coming within a couple of feet of the zone. Two games, about 4 1/2 hours, fee of $45. Part of the reason I got out of umpiring.