The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   1st Basemen feet (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26128-1st-basemen-feet.html)

sm_bbcoach Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:08pm

1st Basemen feet

I was approached by a coach today asking if in NFHS does the 1b have to have both feet in fair territory? I looked in the rule book for what he called a field balk?

Any help please?

jwwashburn Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_bbcoach
I was approached by a coach today asking if in NFHS does the 1b have to have both feet in fair territory? I looked in the rule book for what he called a field balk?

Any help please?

At least one foot in fair territory is what it says-I am almost sure of that.

I have chips and salsa and A&W or I would go look up the specific citation.

Joe

DG Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:17pm

Quote:

Any help please?

At least one foot in at TOP. Both feet out at TOP, penalty is a balk. 1-1-4.

sm_bbcoach Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:18pm

Does LL or Babe Ruth or others have the rule of BOTh feet in fair territory?

Thanks!

bossman72 Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:23pm

From Evans in the BRD:

"In the major leagues, the first baseman is not required to have both feet in fair territory."

I think this is how it should be enforced at all levels.

Additionally from the PBUC:
"Umpires should not insist a fielder have both feet in fair territory unless one team complains, then the umpire will require fielders to have both feet in fair ground."

mrm21711 Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72
From Evans in the BRD:

"In the major leagues, the first baseman is not required to have both feet in fair territory."

I think this is how it should be enforced at all levels.

Additionally from the PBUC:
"Umpires should not insist a fielder have both feet in fair territory unless one team complains, then the umpire will require fielders to have both feet in fair ground."

In additon, the penalty under OBR IS NOT A BALK! If you carefully read rule 4.03 c, the penalty of a balk is never mentioned. It simply says a fielder shall have both feet in fair territory. Dont get confused in the summer when coaches, who think they are being smart, insist this is a balk.

DG Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:33pm

Quote:

Does LL or Babe Ruth or others have the rule of BOTh feet in fair territory?

Thanks!

Babe Ruth is OBR with modifications. OBR requires both feet in fair territory. But I would not be an OOO on this subject.

PBUC: Umpires shoud not insist a fielder have both feet in fair territory unless one team complains, but thereafter the umpire will require fielders to have both feet in fair ground.

I think LL is close to OBR. Rich would be the expert on LL rules.

I personally would not call a balk. That would be OOO.

DG Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
They must enforce this more often in MLB. I haven't noticed F3 with a foot in foul territory in quite some time. Or it could be F3 preference.:D

Could it be that playing with one foot in foul territory is a really bad position for F3 to field his position, so they don't?

Rich Ives Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG
Babe Ruth is OBR with modifications. OBR requires both feet in fair territory. But I would not be an OOO on this subject.

PBUC: Umpires shoud not insist a fielder have both feet in fair territory unless one team complains, but thereafter the umpire will require fielders to have both feet in fair ground.

I think LL is close to OBR. Rich would be the expert on LL rules.

I personally would not call a balk. That would be OOO.

LL is the same as OBR. Do nothing unless the other team complains.

Doesn't matter in the lower levels (12U) as the runners can't lead and aren't held on.

Not only would it OOO to call a balk, it would be a rules misinterpretation - the penalty isn't a balk.

David B Wed Apr 19, 2006 08:06am

A new one

Quote:

Any help please?

Coaches are such educators -- a field balk.

Wow first time for that one.

Thanks
David:D

LMan Wed Apr 19, 2006 08:24am

There's a local JV team whose F3 always sets up with both feet on the 1B foul line, heels back in foul ground, 1B next to his right foot (when he's holding a runner on). Their opponents complain about this to the umps every single game, that he's 'in foul territory' :rolleyes: