The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Padres vs Rockies 4-18-06 (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26126-padres-vs-rockies-4-18-06-a.html)

jwwashburn Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:01pm

Padres vs Rockies 4-18-06

I just saw on Baseball tonight an Interference call that I do not understand.

In OBR, the runner can slide wherever he wants as long as he can reach the base, correct? As long as it is not a roll block or something similar to that.

OK, I will see a better replay later, I hope-Or, maybe one of you was watching the actual game.

Bases Loaded. Ground ball, throw to catcher, force out. The runner slides out in front of the plate in an obvious attempt to disrupt the catcher from completing the throw to 1B-the throw was bad because of the contact. The runner was easily within range of the plate(I think...again, I want to see another angle) The Home Plate umpire calls interference and an out.

Why is this different than the guy sliding into the SS or 2B to break up the double play? Why can a runner blow the catchers head off with a shot gun on a tag play but not slide into him on a force play.

Did anyone see this?

Joe

DG Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn
I just saw on Baseball tonight an Interference call that I do not understand.

In OBR, the runner can slide wherever he wants as long as he can reach the base, correct? As long as it is not a roll block or something similar to that.

OK, I will see a better replay later, I hope-Or, maybe one of you was watching the actual game.

Bases Loaded. Ground ball, throw to catcher, force out. The runner slides out in front of the plate in an obvious attempt to disrupt the catcher from completing the throw to 1B-the throw was bad because of the contact. The runner was easily within range of the plate(I think...again, I want to see another angle) The Home Plate umpire calls interference and an out.

Why is this different than the guy sliding into the SS or 2B to break up the double play? Why can a runner blow the catchers head off with a shot gun on a tag play but not slide into him on a force play.

Did anyone see this?

Joe

Did not see it, but in MLB a runner sliding into 2B can and will slide into a fielder to the left of the bag, to the right of the bag, or beyond the bag, to break up a DP. Only if he slides at a fielder so far away from the bag that he couldn't possibly reach it with an outstreached hand might a ML umpire call him for interference. I have seen some doozy's that were not called. There is no FPSR in MLB and almost anything goes around 2B and anything goes at the plate.

So I don't understand why a MLB umpire called an out in this situation, if what you say is correct (ie sliding runner in easy reach of the plate).

BigUmp56 Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:19am

It really shouldn't be any different at homeplate according to Evans.

Professional Interpretation: The runner should be declared out if he deviates from a direct line to the base and subsequently interferes with the fielder making or completing any play. Traditionally, runners are allowed to contact or collide with the defensive player at second just as they are on plays at home plate. However, different guidelines exist: (1) The runner may divert his path in order to crash the pivot man but he must be able to reach the base with some part of his body; (2) The roll block is illegal. The runner must not leave the ground and contact the fielder. If; however, he hits the ground first, he is allowed to crash into the pivot man provided he does so at the base; and (3) The runner may slide through and beyond the base toward left field and be unable to reach the base provided that he does not do so in order to contact the fielder who has retreated to this position off the base to complete the play. In that event, the previous guideline is in effect and the runner must be able to reach the base with some part of his body. The American League regulations offer the following guidelines: A runner, who in the opinion of the umpire contacts or attempts to make contact with a fielder with a slide or roll block that is not a bona fide effort to reach and stay on a base, may be called out for interference and when appropriate a double play may be called. Any definite change in direction by the runner to contact the fielder would be considered interference. If a runner hits the dirt, slides and rolls, it does not constitute a rolling block unless he leaves the ground and makes contact with the fielder before he slides on the ground. If the initial contact is with the fielder instead of the ground for the purpose of breaking up a double play, it is a rolling block. The above are merely guidelines for the umpires in making their judgment calls.

The J/R says that as long as the runner is proving by his actions that his intentions are to reach the base safely he has not interfered unless he committs a flagrant act.

J/R

It is interference by a runner on a thrown ball only if such runner:

1. commits an intentional action to interfere that disregards his try to get to a base safely, and

2. such action hinders a fielder trying to throw or trying to tag.

NOTE: Interference on a thrown ball does not require contact. Note also that a runner is not exempt from interfering because he has touched or passed home. Such runner can still interfere and cause the out of another runner.

A runner must prove by his actions and the way he positions himself that his intent is to reach and stay on a base safely. Actions that disregard this
intent, and show, rather, an intent to interfere include:

a. grabbing, tackling, or assaulting a fielder,
b. intentionally standing and blocking a fielder,
c. waving arms,
d. slapping a fielder's glove or mitt,
e. going beyond (over-running) second or third base in a try to hinder a fielder,
f. sliding more than a body's length from a base in a try to hinder a fielder,

Play

R1, one out. The second baseman fields a grounder and tosses to second where the shortstop tags the bag and is about to throw to first when R1: grabs his shirt, or slides into him two body lengths away from second, or goes beyond the back edge of second and roll blocks him, or waves his arms but does not contact ball or fielder.

In each case, the runner has shown by his actions and positioning that his intent is not to reach and stay on second safely, but to interfere with the shortstop's try to throw.

The MLBUM is in agreement with both Evans and the J/R.

MLBUM

GUIDELINES:

In sliding to a base, the runner should be able to reach the base with his hand or foot.A runner who, in the judgment of the umpire, contacts or attempts to make contact with a fielder with a slide or roll block that is not a bona fide effort to reach and stay on the base may be called out for interference and, when appropriate, a double play may be called. Any definite change in direction by the runner to contact the fielder would be considered interference.

If a runner hits the dirt, slides, and rolls, it does not constitute a rolling block unless the runner leaves his feet and makes contact with the fielder before the runner slides on the ground. If the initial contact is with the fielder instead of the ground for the purpose of breaking up a double play, it is a roll block.

I didn't see the play, but there must have been something out of the ordinary in order for the umpire to call interference.

Tim.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:32am

I saw the play, being an avid Padres fan, and IMO Joe West kicked it. Giles' slide was perfectly legal, as he could easily have reached the plate with his hand. He did a great takeout slide, disrupted the catcher and caused a wild throw. That is the runner's job on that play, and West called interference. It certainly isn't the first time. Cowboy Joe has made highly dubious and controversial calls before. This was one of them.

jwwashburn Wed Apr 19, 2006 01:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I saw the play, being an avid Padres fan, and IMO Joe West kicked it. Giles' slide was perfectly legal, as he could easily have reached the plate with his hand. He did a great takeout slide, disrupted the catcher and caused a wild throw. That is the runner's job on that play, and West called interference. It certainly isn't the first time. Cowboy Joe has made highly dubious and controversial calls before. This was one of them.

I thought I would hear from Steve on this one. So, on the Local TV broacast, how many different angles did Rich Folkers, Nate Colbert and Gene Locklear show you of the play? :rolleyes:

It looked like he saw something goofy and called it. I have not seen a play like it in my life...

Joe

SanDiegoSteve Wed Apr 19, 2006 01:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn
I thought I would hear from Steve on this one. So, on the Local TV broacast, how many different angles did Rich Folkers, Nate Colbert and Gene Locklear show you of the play? :rolleyes:

It looked like he saw something goofy and called it. I have not seen a play like it in my life...

Joe

Rich Folkers? Nate Cobert? Gene Locklear?

What, did you just step out of H. G. Wells' time machine?

We have the infamous Matt Vasgersian on the play-by-play here, with former Padres, Giants and Rockies pitcher Mark "Mudcat" Grant on the color, with Tony Gwynn (when he's not busy coaching the Aztecs) in the third chair. Rick Sutcliffe fills in occasionally for Grant in the color seat.

I only saw the play a couple of times, but the slide looked clean both times I looked at it. I've sure seen a lot worse that wasn't called interference, that's for sure.

kylejt Wed Apr 19, 2006 08:34am

I saw it in real-time, and I thought it was interference. My son saw the rebroadcast (with no prompting) and had interference. Giles just needed to reach toward the plate, but never did. Might have cost them the game too.

Kyle

jwwashburn Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt
I saw it in real-time, and I thought it was interference. My son saw the rebroadcast (with no prompting) and had interference. Giles just needed to reach toward the plate, but never did. Might have cost them the game too.

Kyle

Interesting, I did notice that he did not reach for the base. But, as DG pointed out above...this would not have been called at 2B.

I wonder if Mr. West will call out the next guy that tackles the catcher on a tag play. It seems like this is a major inconsistency.

Joe

kylejt Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:49am

Even if Giles reached out, he couldn't have come close to touching the plate. Bruce Bochy even said West made the right call. Joe's strike zone was off last night,(he's just guessing on inside pitches) but not that call.