The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Needs for a Babe Ruth Level Clinic? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/25968-needs-babe-ruth-level-clinic.html)

DownTownTonyBrown Thu Apr 06, 2006 01:08pm

Needs for a Babe Ruth Level Clinic?

I've just volunteered to offer a clinic/camp for my local group of Babe Ruth Umpires.

I don't work this level but have seen those that work our local Little League, assume that Babe Ruth umpires are a step above them (maybe, for the the most part), and think they could probably use some guidance.

If I host a clinic/camp with 10 hours of instruction (which is totally inadequate, but an umpire must start somewhere) what should I cram into those hours?

I'm currently thinking two 3-hour sessions of classroom discussion - very brief rules and mechanics; a couple hours of drills; a couple hours of on the field direction during a scrimmage.

What materials should I make available to them? books, handouts, overheads...

Suggestions?

BigUmp56 Thu Apr 06, 2006 01:21pm

Tony:

How soon will you be doing this? If you'll send me your home address in a PM I'll send you copies of all the handouts we used at our regional Babe Ruth clinic last month.

Another thing to consider is a video on field mechanics or a power point presentation. I can't help you with a video but I can send you a power point presentation on small diamond mechanics through your e-mail.

You should also get a copy of the 2006 BR rule book for each student it that's possible.

Tim.

DG Thu Apr 06, 2006 09:14pm

30 minutes on how to dress the part, including equipment needs. Provide catalogs/web sites to order uniforms and equipment.

60 minute video on field positioning, followed by 30 minutes of questions and discussion.

30 minutes on pre-game discussion requirements.

120 minutes of plate mechanics on the field with live pitcher/catcher or pitching machine/catcher. Cut the participants in half, and the others are working on 120 minutes of field mechanics.

Lunch for 30 minutes (hot dogs, chips, sodas, etc), then swap, plate guys to bases, base guys go to plate.

60 minutes for Jim Evans balk video

Go over rules for 60 minutes, use the Babe Ruth Test as a guide.

The last 60 minutes should be taking the Babe Ruth rules test to become certified. The 60 minute review prior to taking the test should help prepare them to take the test. There is a fee to become certified. The participants should pay, of if the league is serious about getting certified umpires they should pay.

That's 10 hours. Good luck.

DownTownTonyBrown Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:13pm

Tim,
Thanks for the help with a Babe Ruth Clinic - the regional information should be great. The umpires should be thinking that "This is where I'm headed."

I think it will be a couple weeks, at the most before I begin this clinic. So I do have some time to organize - make photo copies, establish my own speaking notes, etc.

You can send me e-mail at
[email protected]
or send hard copies to my home address
Tony Brown
1970 Sunflower Circle
Idaho Falls, ID 83406

Thanks for your help, Tony
If you need some reimbursement for any of this give me a call
208-521-8189

BigUmp56 Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:23pm

Tony:

I think it's easier for me to give you the link to the power point presentation rather than send you the file.

Here's the link:

http://eteamz.active.com/LLBFLD15/fi...tionRev3.0.ppt

I'll drop the handouts and accompanying literature in the mail either later this afternoon or on Monday along with a copy of the 2006 test.

Tim.

DownTownTonyBrown Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:26pm

Well, I thought my last response was just going to Tim, BigUmp56. Looks like it went to everyone. We used to have that ability to personally respond to an individual - I don't see it in this new forum format.

DG thanks for the input, too!

I do have the balk video. A general mechanics video, I do not. Recommendations? I will probably just go through several situations on the field and have the umpires run some mechanics drills.

BigUmp56 Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:37pm

Tony:

Try here for some videos on field mechanincs. We used the small diamond video with Andy Konyar in it for our BR clinic. The video "See a Balk Call a Balk" is found at this site also. I would suggest that you not waste your time and money on it. It's not very good at all.

http://www.officialcom.com/

Tim.

DG Sat Apr 08, 2006 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownTownTonyBrown
I do have the balk video. A general mechanics video, I do not. Recommendations?

BigUmp56 lists a web site in the next post. Click on and go near the bottom on the right hand side to Basic Umpiring with Al Kaplon. This is a very good video. I have it and I watch it every year before getting started. I have also used it in clinics. It is 30 minutes. I would play it and have discussion on it before going out on the field to practice making calls as they were shown in the video.

For a balk video get Jim Evans balk video. It's 60 minutes and very good.