The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

During my sons little league game, a batter was hit by a pitch after the ball hit the dirt in front of him. The batter made no attempt to swing and tried to get out of the way. The umpire ruled a dead ball and the batter was not awarded 1st base, the opposing manager agreed with this call. I have since brought up this situation to several other people and it is running about 50-50 wether the batter is awarded 1st base or not. I say he gets 1st, but I've been unable to find proof of this ruling. Does any one know where I can find an official ruling on this? Thanks
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 07:17am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Rule 2.00 Definition Ball

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty
During my sons little league game, a batter was hit by a pitch after the ball hit the dirt in front of him. The batter made no attempt to swing and tried to get out of the way. The umpire ruled a dead ball and the batter was not awarded 1st base, the opposing manager agreed with this call. I have since brought up this situation to several other people and it is running about 50-50 wether the batter is awarded 1st base or not. I say he gets 1st, but I've been unable to find proof of this ruling. Does any one know where I can find an official ruling on this? Thanks
"A Ball is a pitch which does not enter the strike zone in flight and is not struck at by the batter. (Note If the pitch touches the ground .... If such pitch touches the batter, the batter shall be awarded first base...."

mick
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

You leave us at a great disadvantage. Did you ask the ump why he did not award first? Without his rational, we can speculate till the cows come in to no avail.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 01:26pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Good point!

Quote:
Originally posted by David Van Milligen
You leave us at a great disadvantage. Did you ask the ump why he did not award first? Without his rational, we can speculate till the cows come in to no avail.
Good point, David,
Maybe the batter didn't try to avoid the ball. And if he didn't then it is merely a "dead ball" Ball.
mick
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Good point!

Originally posted by mick
Originally posted by David Van Milligen

Good point, David,
Maybe the batter didn't try to avoid the ball. And if he didn't then it is merely a "dead ball" Ball.
mick

From original thread "The batter made no attempt to swing and tried to get out of the way.

According to the thread B1 did try and avoid the pitch.

Side Note: When the rule book talks about not awarding B1 first when B1 does not attempt to avoid being hit, they are referring to a pitched ball in flight as opposed to a pitched ball that hits the dirt first.

Whenever the ball hits the dirt and subsequently touches B1 award first regardless if he / she got out of the way or not. Do not reward F1 for throwing a bad pitch.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

"Maybe the batter didn't try to avoid the ball. And if he didn't then it is merely a "dead ball" Ball.
mick

From original thread "The batter made no attempt to swing and tried to get out of the way.

According to the thread B1 did try and avoid the pitch."

Yes, the thread was clear. In your opinion, the batter did try to avoid the pitch. What we need to know is the ump's opinion.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Good point!

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

Whenever the ball hits the dirt and subsequently touches B1 award first regardless if he / she got out of the way or not. Do not reward F1 for throwing a bad pitch.

Pete Booth
Pete,
I didn't know that.
Not rewarding Pitcher makes some sense, but is this cruel and unusual punishment?
mick
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

I remember someone saying in a previous thread on this topic that if it hits the ground, it is difficult for the batter to get out of the way because he doesn't know which way the ball is coming at him. I agree with this theory and will always give the batter the base when the ball hits the grounds unless it is so blantantly obvious that he could have gotten out of the way(such as the ball rolling slowly up to him and he watches it hit him).

Even if the ball doesn't hit the ground, I usually give the base unless it it so obvious that he didn't try to get out of the way that my 3 year old son would say, "Dad why didn't that batter try to get out of the way of the pitch"
My opinion only.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 09:31am
Michael Taylor

Greg:
I had one those obvious HBP Sunday in a Sr league city championship game. The guy stood there and watched it hit him in the shoulder. I called the dead ball added a ball to count and put him back in the box. He scratched his head and said" but I got hit by the ball." I told him yes I know but you didn't avoid. After the inning the coach came by and muttered something about I only thought that was on curve balls.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

I had an L. A. City baseball game years ago, where the batter (about the size of an NFL lineman) turned and stuck his ample rear into the pitch. I called a dead ball, a ball on the pitch, and told him to stay in the box. Both he and the coach were quite upset. I told them that not only was there no effort to avoid the pitch, a ssssllllooowwww curve, but he actually moved into it. Grumble, grumble, and the game went on. Oh, yeah, it was the home team.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

For the most part only certain batters will allow themselves to be HBP. I try to use a little preventative umpiring the first time the batter goes fishing with his arm or leg. If possible, I tell them "don't do that, because if you do get HBP - CHANCES ARE GOOD that I am going to keep you here".

So later in the game when the batter does get HBP and the coach comes out to argue why I didn't send him down to first, I let him know that I warned the batter earlier in the game when he went fishing for a HBP. He just did it again so I had to keep him here. Usually the coach is aware that his batter has a tendency to get HBP and he goes back to the dugout.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

In a 5A HS tournament with the HOST team at bat, bases loaded, and a 2-2 count. The pitch is slightly inside to the batter who just stands there and turns his body. Dead ball, stay in box, 3-2 count. No arguments from anyone.

Next pitch over the plate. Batter dips left shoulder into ball, gets hit, and starts trotting to first. Dead ball, strike 3, batter is out. Look of wonder on his face (and probably mine). He trots to dugout. No arguments from ANYONE.

Partner after game says excellent calls. Point being, when it happens, everyone else sees the same action (or lack of). It's how YOU interpret the play that makes the call. If it happened, there are likely many others agreeing with you---just generally not those on the side of the offense.
If you feel certain it happened, keep him home. Letting him go to first is inviting further plays of that nature.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 05:14pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Yupper!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
In a 5A HS tournament with the HOST team at bat, bases loaded, and a 2-2 count. The pitch is slightly inside to the batter who just stands there and turns his body. Dead ball, stay in box, 3-2 count. No arguments from anyone.

Next pitch over the plate. Batter dips left shoulder into ball, gets hit, and starts trotting to first. Dead ball, strike 3, batter is out. Look of wonder on his face (and probably mine). He trots to dugout. No arguments from ANYONE.

Partner after game says excellent calls. Point being, when it happens, everyone else sees the same action (or lack of). It's how YOU interpret the play that makes the call. If it happened, there are likely many others agreeing with you---just generally not those on the side of the offense.
If you feel certain it happened, keep him home. Letting him go to first is inviting further plays of that nature.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Freix,
Adult game with Bob Jenkins, had ball two on a no-flinch.
No complaints.
mick
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Taylor
Greg:
I had one those obvious HBP Sunday in a Sr league city championship game. The guy stood there and watched it hit him in the shoulder. I called the dead ball added a ball to count and put him back in the box. He scratched his head and said" but I got hit by the ball." I told him yes I know but you didn't avoid. After the inning the coach came by and muttered something about I only thought that was on curve balls.
Ya Mike, that is Sr. Ball. I imagine the pitching is really slow. I'm am talking about HS varsity where the pitch is so fast that it would be hard for the runner to get out of the way on the bounce.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2001, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Yupper!

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Freix,
Adult game with Bob Jenkins, had ball two on a no-flinch.
No complaints.
mick
Not unlike Jenkins, from what I'm told, to just stand up there and take in the shoulder. LOL

Freix