The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 01, 2001, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Fed Rules- Runners are on first and third.

Coach came up to me and said the pitcher balked in his third to first move because he didn't disengage from the rubber as he threw to first. ( brought up this question in a previous thread but I kept on getting conflicting answers)

I told the coach that it is not necessary to disengage the rubber but the pitcher must step towards thrid and fake there before he goes to first. (I used this explanation from several responses to my previous thread on this topic).

Also, I wasn't sure how to explain to him the definition of stepping towards a base.

In short my question in two-fold-

1) Does the pitcher have to disengage from the rubber in his third to first move at the moment he throws to first?

2) What is considered a step towards a base?

Thanks,

Greg
Old Sun Jul 01, 2001, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

First, Greg, in your questions it would help to specify which set of rules your question is based upon.

I believe for OBR that Carl obtained on official ruling from PBUC stating the pitcher MUST disengage the rubber on the 3-1 move. A legal step to 3rd is required, but no arm motion is required as part of his feint. Obviously, OBR considers the step, itself, to be a legal feint.

In Fed, caseplay 6.2.4 Situation C states he need not disengage the rubber in the 3-1 play. He must make a legal step and feint to third before turning. However, if he remains on the pitching plate after his feint to 3rd, he MUST throw to first or else it would be a balk not throwing to first while on the pitching rubber). If he disengages the rubber during his feint to 3rd, he need not throw to 1st base. Whether or not arm motion (a faked throw) is required in his feint to third has been a hotly debated issue. I do not believe arm motion is required. I believe the legal step to 3B in and of itself is a feint of a start of a throw to 3rd. I am unaware of any specific ruling by the Fed stating arm motion is or is not required. Until such time, I enforce it the same as NCAA and OBR which agree that no arm motion is required.

To address your last question regarding what contstitutes a legal step from the rubber, you need to consider "distance and direction" of the step. The step needs to be within the 45 degree limit. That is, any step landing closer to home than the halfway point of the baseline from 3ed to home would be illegal. That step would be more toward home than toward 3B. The pitcher also needs to gain distance toward 3rd compared to the location of where his original non-pivot foot was planted. I have seen comments stating ANY distance gained is acceptable, and I have also seen it stated that the heel of the shoe after landing should be beyond the toe area of the original location. What cannot be allowed is for the pitcher to raise his foot up and bring it down in the same location as the original plant.

My personal opinion is that bringing a foot straight upward and almost straight downward, gaining perhaps 1-2 inches is not a natural motion. A pitcher doing that knows he is testing the limits of the rule and limits of umpire judgement and should not be surprised if he is balked. Of course, he will always argue. That's always a tough call learned better with experience. Perhaps others may comment.

Just my opinion,

Freix