The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   What would be considered a dead ball? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/25574-what-would-considered-dead-ball.html)

PJUMP Fri Mar 17, 2006 04:05pm

Other then the ball leaving the playing field by an erratic throw what else would be considered a dead ball. I believe a runner getting hit by a batted ball is also considered dead ball. What about interference or obstruction? When do you make the call?

DO make the call "dead ball" as soon as it happens or wait for the play to finish out.

What about calling interference or obstruction -when it happens or when the play is over? THANKS

Mike

mcrowder Fri Mar 17, 2006 04:09pm

This is a very open ended question that could be answered simply by "any time the umpire says DEAD BALL!" But more specifically, there are many many reasons a live ball can become dead.

Interference is an immediate dead ball.
Obstruction can be either an immediate or a delayed dead ball, depending on the type and the ruleset.
A blocked ball is a dead ball.
A severe injury COULD be a dead ball (umpire's judgement)
If the umpire calls TIME, it's a dead ball.

I could go on for a long time, but these are likely the more common.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Mar 17, 2006 04:13pm

PJUMP,

There is no one quick answer for your question. Sometimes interference is an immediate dead ball, and sometimes not. Same with obstruction, some immediate, some not. There are other dead ball situations, such as a HBP, foul, umpire calling "Time," etc.

You need to study the rule book in depth, and it will explain whether the ball is dead immediately or not.

PeteBooth Fri Mar 17, 2006 04:23pm

<i> Originally posted by PJUMP </i>

<b> Other then the ball leaving the playing field by an erratic throw what else would be considered a dead ball. I believe a runner getting hit by a batted ball is also considered dead ball. What about interference or obstruction? When do you make the call?

DO make the call "dead ball" as soon as it happens or wait for the play to finish out.

What about calling interference or obstruction -when it happens or when the play is over? THANKS </b>

Over the last few days you have asked several questions. Most if not all can be answered by doing some simple reading.

For Base Awards, When the ball is Immediately dead vs. Delayed dead I Recommend that you get a copy or purchase a FED rule book. The FED rule book is very inexpensive. Also, if you know some FED umpires perhaps they will lend you a copy.

In the FED rule book they have a nice concise table on

1. Base Awards
2. When the ball is Immediately dead vs. Delayed dead

In addition you can purchase Carl Childress's BRD (Baseball Rule Differences) at a reasonable cost. Carl's book EXPLAINS the differences in OBR/FED and NCAA rules.

When you review the tables in the FED rule Book, if you still have questions then come back and post.

Your questions are very vague and the REAL answer to your question is:

<i> It Depends </i>

There is no substitute for doing some "home-work" first and then ask for clarification.

Pete Booth

GarthB Fri Mar 17, 2006 06:34pm

PJ

I see in another thread that you are nearly brand new to this avocation. I agree with those who advised you to get to a clinic.

As regards this thread, since you're just starting out, get some good habits going. For one, instead of saying "Dead Ball", call "TIME!"

I attended a clinic where whenever somone would yell "DEAD BALL", three or four minor league umpires who were instructing the clinic would run out on the field and administer CPR to the ball, finally giving up and looking up at the bewildered umpire and one would say, "I'm sorry, I guess it was just TIME."

SanDiegoSteve Fri Mar 17, 2006 07:17pm

Garth,

It took me years to break myself of calling "dead ball" on a HBP. I never used the phrase at any other time, but for some reason on a HBP, there I was saying "dead ball." But, I finally broke myself of the bad habit. It just took some TIME.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_9_2.gif