The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

....from one of my forums!

"sum 1 told me this and i dont belive it but when u r outside the batting box and the pitcher pitchs it and its a strike it dosent count right?"

and...

"i have a balk question for anyone out there who knows. It regards a pick-off move to 2nd base by a left hander. I have never seen a lefty do it, which makes me think that it is a balk, we call this the "*******" move, some call it a hang move, and another that i cant think of right now. The pitcher picks his glove side leg straight up, slowly, hangs a bit and then spins towards 2nd base and throws to 2nd. is it a balk for a lefty to do this move?"

Thanks!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

"sum 1 told me this and i dont belive it but when u r outside the batting box and the pitcher pitchs it and its a strike it dosent count right?"
It depends. Was the ball live or dead? Was the batter in the box and stepped out as the pitcher started his motion (the pitch counts -- and in FED it will be a strike no matter where the pitfch is), or did the pitcher pitch before the batter entered the box (no pitch / quick pitch)?

Quote:
"i have a balk question for anyone out there who knows. It regards a pick-off move to 2nd base by a left hander. I have never seen a lefty do it, which makes me think that it is a balk, we call this the "*******" move, some call it a hang move, and another that i cant think of right now. The pitcher picks his glove side leg straight up, slowly, hangs a bit and then spins towards 2nd base and throws to 2nd. is it a balk for a lefty to do this move?"

Thanks!
There is no difference between the requirements for a LH pitcher and for a RH pitcher. If the pitcher comes to a complete stop ("hangs a bit"), it's a balk. If not, it's legal.

Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

It depends. Was the ball live or dead? Was the batter in the box and stepped out as the pitcher started his motion (the pitch counts -- and in FED it will be a strike no matter where the pitfch is), or did the pitcher pitch before the batter entered the box (no pitch / quick pitch)?
My reply was similiar. "It depends on whether the umpire has called granted time or not."

Thanks Bob.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

is it illegal if the pitcher uses this move and instead of throwing to second, he begins to run toward second base with ball in hand. I realize that he doesn't have to throw, so why couldn't he just instantaneous start running at R2 (even though his pivot is still in contact with rubber). I am not sure why I am asking this question, because it "feels" like it is legal. Just humor me.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by smoump
is it illegal if the pitcher uses this move and instead of throwing to second, he begins to run toward second base with ball in hand. I realize that he doesn't have to throw, so why couldn't he just instantaneous start running at R2 (even though his pivot is still in contact with rubber). I am not sure why I am asking this question, because it "feels" like it is legal. Just humor me.
Once he stops his leg in mid air it's a BALK. He can run to second or crawl for that matter. He has already balked.