The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Talking

most inexperienced umpires get all a-twitter when a coach tells them "good game" or some other such nonsense. Often, it is just a case of a rat being a rat.

Last night, I received a compliment that actually made me proud.

FED game. no runners, fly ball down the RF line, my partner goes out. BR rounds first and I am at the cut at 2B when he slides in for a double. (No throw from F9.) I head back to home plate and as I pass F2, he says "Damn blue. Nice hustle. You were all the way out there at 2B."

It made me feel good b/c he noticed that I was busting my hump to get into position.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
most inexperienced umpires get all a-twitter when a coach tells them "good game" or some other such nonsense. Often, it is just a case of a rat being a rat.

Last night, I received a compliment that actually made me proud.

FED game. no runners, fly ball down the RF line, my partner goes out. BR rounds first and I am at the cut at 2B when he slides in for a double. (No throw from F9.) I head back to home plate and as I pass F2, he says "Damn blue. Nice hustle. You were all the way out there at 2B."

It made me feel good b/c he noticed that I was busting my hump to get into position.

What age group????

Say "Thanks" and then toss F2 for using inappropriate language on the field............................................. ..................................... only joking :-)

Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

i like when people notice things like that. i dont go looking for compliments, but i appreciate them when they come. we all know the coaches on the bench have the best angle and distance, but when a real coach can recognize my hard work it feels good. being quite young for where i work, it feels good to hear those things every so often, rather than getting chewed out solely for being the young guy. it doesnt get to me and i dont even mind the negativeness towards FNGs, but i think someone said 'variety is the spice of life' or something like that.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Be careful.....

Remember, if you believe them when they tell you that you did a good job, you have to believe them when they tell you that you suck!

Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Be careful.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Striker991
Remember, if you believe them when they tell you that you did a good job, you have to believe them when they tell you that you suck!

yeah, but there are those who can tell a rat from a coach. rats arent people, coaches are. there are people i believe, and people i dont. im pretty sure everyone knows a coach or two who they can listen to, and coach or 500 that they cant listen to.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Don't take this the wrong way. Everyone likes compliments about their work but to tell the truth, if I get a compliment, I just say "Thanks, coach" and leave it at that. The fans and the coaches can compliment me all they want, they are just happy that a call went their way or something like that.

Now, my partner has been watching and covering my butt for 7 to 9 innings and I've done the same for him. We are the only ones that really know what is expected of an umpire. We critique each other (hopefully) and maybe even stop for a bite to eat. Then he/she goes home and I am left to the worst critic of all - me! And I don't hand out compliments too easily - not even to myself!
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Oz. I don't want to sound negative and I am glad that the coach complimented you. I just say thanks and go on, no elaborations of me bloating. I take the things my partner of evaluator tells me. The coaches does not know where you are suppose to be at, whether you are out or in good position and your mechanics.

I am glad you are enjoying yourself and proud, but remember, you are only as good as your last time out. The next time you see the coach, he may chew on you or he may have some type of an influence with you for his compliment. Just be careful and wise.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Last night I was on bases and after the game the 1B coach told me that I did a good job and to let my partner know he had also done a good job. The coach who said this was on the losing end. His comment went in one ear and out the other. I did not mention to my partner in post-game. After all, 1B coaches don't exist anyway.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
missed the point

this compliment was not from a coach. Coaches don't give compliments, the work for an angle.

The compliment came from the catcher.

What suprised me was that this kid recognized hustle from an umpire.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: missed the point

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
this compliment was not from a coach. Coaches don't give compliments, the work for an angle.

The compliment came from the catcher.

What suprised me was that this kid recognized hustle from an umpire.
good job, I tend to help catchers out, they have a tough job back there.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

There are differences in coaches. I do about 75% HS and 25% small college ball. We have some HS coaches in our area that do not complain at all if they know you are hustling to get into position and not calling just for the money. My wife played D1 college softball, played in 2 CWS and is an excellent coach and also is an excellent umpire that I have called alot with. She notices hard work by umpires and calls the assignment sec. and compliments their hard work all the time. She also knows when she does not have a very tough game and she knows she will get new or inexperienced umpires and she is very patient with them as long as they hustle and try. All coaches are not as bad as some make them out to be, but be lazy and they should get on our butts.