The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Should a Catcher Catch? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/25334-should-catcher-catch.html)

DG Sat Mar 04, 2006 06:45pm

Last night, in a game with a college age catcher, I was struck twice. Once, directly in the mask and later directly on the inside of my left thigh. Both were fastballs. Today, I have a bit of a stiff neck and a huge bruise on my sore left leg. I coached for 12 years before leaving my dual life as umpire and RAT, and became an umpire only. And, I raised two sons, both catchers. I don't think it is too much to ask for a GOOD catcher to catch a ball in flight, or at least get a glove on it to deflect it. The catcher (same one both times) claimed he was crossed up, was expecting a different pitch and of course I thougth that was a flimsy excuse. Am I delusional? I completely understand getting hit by foul balls and sometimes one in the dirt but is too much to ask for a catcher to catch a ball in flight?

canablue05 Sat Mar 04, 2006 07:15pm

If a college Catcher catch a fastball he probably shouldn't be there. With that said yes he might have been crossed up. But if the pitcher's hitting spots you shouldn't be getting hit even if he does throw the wrong pitch. Did he go talk to the pitcher after the 'crossups'? Did he have a reason to let a fastball through? Bush catchers have a tendency to do garbage like that...anyways hope the wounds heal quick.

jicecone Sat Mar 04, 2006 09:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by DG
Last night, in a game with a college age catcher, I was struck twice. Once, directly in the mask and later directly on the inside of my left thigh. Both were fastballs. Today, I have a bit of a stiff neck and a huge bruise on my sore left leg. I coached for 12 years before leaving my dual life as umpire and RAT, and became an umpire only. And, I raised two sons, both catchers. I don't think it is too much to ask for a GOOD catcher to catch a ball in flight, or at least get a glove on it to deflect it. The catcher (same one both times) claimed he was crossed up, was expecting a different pitch and of course I thougth that was a flimsy excuse. Am I delusional? I completely understand getting hit by foul balls and sometimes one in the dirt but is too much to ask for a catcher to catch a ball in flight?
It's obvious that your first assumption was wrong, GOOD Catcher!!!!

briancurtin Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:13pm

i had a problem like this once and it was one hell of a "crossup." F2 sets up way outside, F1 brings it probably just above 90 and drills me directly in the left bicep. i was locked in and kind of out in the open since F2 was way out there. catcher didnt even reach for it, so i took that one untouched. i thought my arm was going to fall off, and i actually couldnt move it for about 3 days after that.

i finished up that game in sort of a half-assed GD stance, where my left hand was resting on my upper thigh since i couldnt extend it all the way, and right arm was like normal.

TussAgee11 Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:38am

As a former catcher, I can tell you being crossed up is complete B.S.

When you catch a curveball, you track the pitch with your glove, kind of following it to the spot. You can cheat a bit and anticipate the curve, but you never really know when the pitcher is going to hang one.

I never had a problem catching the pitch when we were crossed up, I bet I just looked really awkward doing it.

But there is nothing you can do to penalize the catcher for sucking/letting it go through. Unless you want to dump the coach and clear the stands.

mcrowder Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:25am

Brian, you were FUU'd (the corollary to FUC). I've seen ejections for this. Did this happen right after something went against this team? I bet it did.

Kaliix Mon Mar 06, 2006 03:22pm

I gotta say, that happens once, I could attribute it to an accident or crossup. But the first time that happens, that college age cathers is going to know for certain that if that sh|t happens again, there will be consequences.

If it happens twice, I'd consider it intentional.

Did the catcher move at all and try to get a glove on it? Or did he just sit there like a deer in headlights.

I've crossed up a catcher and brought a one when it shoulda been a two. The few times that has happened, it was caught.

LMan Tue Mar 07, 2006 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TussAgee11
But there is nothing you can do to penalize the catcher for sucking/letting it go through.
*heh heh heh*