The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

One of the two new California Baseball Umpire’s Association mechanics

Umpire crews (2, 3, or 4 man) are authorized and encouraged to use the following two mechanics. While recommend, these are optional mechanics and if used, should be discussed by the crew in the pre-game meeting.

VOLUNTARY STRIKE:
In a situation where the batter is permitted, by rule, to advance to first base on a dropped third strike, the base umpire in a two man crew, or the appropriate umpire in a three or four man crew, may immediately and voluntarily, make a strike call IF the base umpire intended to reverse the plate umpire if the plate umpire had asked. This mechanic gives the batter an immediate opportunity to run.

Example: With first base unoccupied and a 3-2 count, the batter checks his swing and the ball eludes the catcher. If the first base umpire intended to call a strike on appeal from the plate umpire, the first base umpire may make the call immediately.

The mechanic is for the base umpire to raise his right arm above his head, fist closed, and loudly and emphatically announces “The batter went, the batter went.”
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
nice. real nice.

BTW - when does baseball season start in CA? I will be in Modesto this week.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

That's the "very advanced" pro mechanic.

What's the second mechanic change of the CBUA?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
That's the "very advanced" pro mechanic.

What's the second mechanic change of the CBUA?
The second mechanic is:

ALL EYES ON THE BALL

On any fly ball down a foul line which has a chance to leave the field or any fly ball which may bounce over an outfield fence, all umpires on the crew are to watch the flight of the ball. Many times, the non-calling umpire(s) have a better look at the flight of the ball than the umpire responsible for making the call. On this type of play, the watching of runners touching bases is secondary.

In the event of a possible error by the calling umpire, the non-calling umpire is not to get involved in the play UNLESS there is a protest by either team. If there is a protest by either team, the umpiring crew should get together and discuss what it saw. If the calling umpire is sure he got a good look at the play, his call will stand.

With chain link fences, and short foul poles, it is often very difficult for an umpire to determine if the ball left the field in flight or bounced over a fence, or left the field in fair or foul territory. The “all eyes” concept will often be of great help in getting this tough play correct.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
nice. real nice.

BTW - when does baseball season start in CA? I will be in Modesto this week.
I'm not sure when they start up in Modesto. They might have some pre-season tourneys going now.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

These are Big League mechanics - I just instructed at an umpire clinic with AAA/MLB umpire James Hoye and he told us about these same two mechanics that MLB umpires have now adopted.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
That second "advanced" mechanic is not new to me. I've been taught to "watch the ball and glance at the runner". When did we lose that concept? I've had partners tell me that I have to tell them "where the ball is", because they never watch the ball, just the runners. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 05:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
HS pre-season, and pre-season tournaments have begun in Modesto and all surrounding cities. Regular season starts in one week.

Lots of Saturday games, and rain-out make-ups during this first three weeks. Very hectic, with lots of short notice assignments.

This is the area that I work in.

Nick
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
well dang it. I got back from Modesto last night. Never been out there. It looks A LOT like southern arkansas. Except the hills, they look like northeastern Iraq.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kbaerslt
It is funny. I had a 2 and 2 count on the batter today. The pitch came in and he checked his swing. The catcher dropped the ball and it got away from the catcher. Without being asked I went right to my partner about the check swing. Partner called it a swing and the batter took off running and was thrown out at first. If you just ask on a dropped third strike when the runner can run you save the trouble of your partner having to step up and cover your behind. No one said a work on either side about it.

kb
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kbaerslt
It is funny. I had a 2 and 2 count on the batter today. The pitch came in and he checked his swing. The catcher dropped the ball and it got away from the catcher. Without being asked I went right to my partner about the check swing. Partner called it a swing and the batter took off running and was thrown out at first. If you just ask on a dropped third strike when the runner can run you save the trouble of your partner having to step up and cover your behind. No one said a work on either side about it.

kb
Is it only me or does anyone else see a problem here?
The appeal comes from the catcher, if we make our own appeal when the ball is at the backstop I'd venture to say that most catchers would say they don't want an appeal, they're happy with the ball. Let's leave some room for gamesmanship and quick thinking by the players. The runner has the option to run to first. If he makes it I bet the catcher doesn't doesn't ask for an apppeal. If the batter stands there like a bump on a log let the catcher utilize his right for an appeal once he's recovered the ball.
In this sitch both players screwed up, one swung and missed the other missed the ball, we should not be changing our mechanics to help either side. In this case the advantage should go to the smartest player.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

kb [/B][/QUOTE]
The appeal comes from the catcher, if we make our own appeal when the ball is at the backstop I'd venture to say that most catchers would say they don't want an appeal, they're happy with the ball. Let's leave some room for gamesmanship and quick thinking by the players. The runner has the option to run to first. If he makes it I bet the catcher doesn't doesn't ask for an apppeal. If the batter stands there like a bump on a log let the catcher utilize his right for an appeal once he's recovered the ball.
In this sitch both players screwed up, one swung and missed the other missed the ball, we should not be changing our mechanics to help either side. In this case the advantage should go to the smartest player. [/B][/QUOTE]

In the example provided in the CBUA Membership Handbook:

Example: With first base unoccupied and a 3-2 count, the batter checks his swing and the ball eludes the catcher. If the first base umpire intended to call a strike on appeal from the plate umpire, the first base umpire may make the call immediately.

There are few coaches (on def) who would, on a 3-2 count, not appeal a checked swing....they want the 3rd strike, even if the pitch eludes F2. So if "on appeal" the BU would have called a strike, the mechanic is for him to call the strike without being asked. This would allow the batter a chance to run to 1B, this also lets F2 know that he has to tag the batter or throw to 1B for the out.

This mechanic isn't only for the benefit of F2, he already knows that he missed the pitch, so he pops up and tags the batter or throws to 1B. But as far as the batter knows it was ball 4 and he gets a walk to 1B. How could he possibly know that it was a strike and that he should be running to 1B?

Personally, I like this mechanic.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NIump50
Quote:
Originally posted by kbaerslt

kb
In this sitch both players screwed up, one swung and missed the other missed the ball, we should not be changing our mechanics to help either side. In this case the advantage should go to the smartest player.
The NAPBL Blue book has had guys doing this for a while, dropped third strike that has a checked swing, go right away if the batter has a chance to run, if he doesn't then do it just like always.