The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Several pitchers I have witnessed this year plant their free foot sideways toward first (in the case of rhps). Some even plant their free foot in front of the rubber as a "rocker step". Rules say "backward" and "forward" only steps allowed with free foot. Some umps have said they can't see it when pointed out - so I drop it. Other's say they know the rule but they don't enforce it since "these kids are just learning to pitch." I guess my belief is that this is the exact reason why it should be enforced so they don't develop bad mechanics. What is the custom on how to deal with this. And how do umps judge what is "backwards," i.e. is moving the foot behind the rubber all that is needed, even if the step is basically "backing up" towards first base?
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 07:25pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Rbn3
Several pitchers I have witnessed this year plant their free foot sideways toward first (in the case of rhps). Some even plant their free foot in front of the rubber as a "rocker step". Rules say "backward" and "forward" only steps allowed with free foot. Some umps have said they can't see it when pointed out - so I drop it. Other's say they know the rule but they don't enforce it since "these kids are just learning to pitch." I guess my belief is that this is the exact reason why it should be enforced so they don't develop bad mechanics. What is the custom on how to deal with this. And how do umps judge what is "backwards," i.e. is moving the foot behind the rubber all that is needed, even if the step is basically "backing up" towards first base?
R,
Little League diagrams acceptable foot movements.
Of which league are you speaking?
mick

Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

We play Bronco rules. Where are the diagrams?
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Several pitchers I have witnessed this year plant their free foot sideways toward first (in the case of rhps). Some even plant their free foot in front of the rubber as a "rocker step". Rules say "backward" and "forward" only steps allowed with free foot. Some umps have said they can't see it when pointed out - so I drop it. Other's say they know the rule but they don't enforce it since "these kids are just learning to pitch." I guess my belief is that this is the exact reason why it should be enforced so they don't develop bad mechanics. What is the custom on how to deal with this. And how do umps judge what is "backwards," i.e. is moving the foot behind the rubber all that is needed, even if the step is basically "backing up" towards first base? [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok first the rule

8.01 Legal pitching delivery.
(a) The Windup Position. The pitcher may have one foot, not the pivot foot, off the rubber and any distance he may desire back of a line which is an extension to the back edge of the pitcher's plate, but not at either side of the pitcher's plate.

Therefore, you are correct F1 cannot with his free foot, place in front of or to the side of the pitcher's plate. It must be in back of.

Now you said Bronco Division and I do not know their rules, but if it's the same as LL, umpires probably do not enforce because

1. You would call an enormous amount of illegal pitches or balks if you call balks at the Bronco Division.

2. In LL, runners cannot lead off, so if Bronco is the same, umpires feel that no advantage is gained.

The problem in examining rules is that the rules do not stipulate the talent level involved. In LL or any other league that has volunteer coaches, you find 1 or 2 dominant teams that teach the kids the proper mechanics but there are plenty of teams in which the kids are just learning.

You are correct in that kids have to learn but on the same token do people want to see a barade of illegal pitches called.

You bring up a valid point and your scenario should be brought up at the beginning of the season. I strongly recommend a coaches / umpires meeting to go over this so that there is no misunderstanding. Another avenue that might work is to have a pitcher's clinic for these young F1's so that they can learn the proper pitching mechanics.

Sometimes HS coaches or even college coaches along with their pitcher's will give a clinic for the kids. Also, these young F1's need to practice on their own besides the normal organized practices that the coaches run.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rules say "backward" and "forward" only steps allowed with free foot.
The ruel says that because that was the mechanic when the rule was written.

Now that mechanics have changed, the rule interpretation has changed as well.

(And, yes, it would be nice if the rule wording would change. I doubt it's at the top of the list of the MLB rules committee.)