The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

We had a call reversed against us the other night when a coach told the ump tagging in the head is illegal. Ump had originally called the runner out on a very close play. We called for a BOD member to settle the dispute but stupidly let the call go after about a 6 - minute delay without the BOD member showing up to settle the dispute. I now feel we should have made the coach show us the rule as I don't think it exists. LL rules in our league. Am I right that we blew it? The call didn't cost us the game but it did cost us on run and we lost by 3. I just hate it when coaches want to decide a game between 7-8 year olds instead of letting the kids decide it themselves. Thanks.
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 02:53pm
In Memoriam

Talking Now, that's funny!

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Cash
We had a call reversed against us the other night when a coach told the ump tagging in the head is illegal. Ump had originally called the runner out on a very close play. We called for a BOD member to settle the dispute but stupidly let the call go after about a 6 - minute delay without the BOD member showing up to settle the dispute. I now feel we should have made the coach show us the rule as I don't think it exists. LL rules in our league. Am I right that we blew it? The call didn't cost us the game but it did cost us on run and we lost by 3. I just hate it when coaches want to decide a game between 7-8 year olds instead of letting the kids decide it themselves. Thanks.
Norm,
I wouldn't say you blew it if you don't have a book.
Many coaches don't have rule books.
Better luck next time.
mick
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

There is no rule against tagging in the head. However, if it is a malicious tag, that warrants a warning or ejection. Also, if it is a close play and the runner is tagged in the head, he is usually safe.

For 7-8 year olds, you did the right thing, try to find someone to quickly resolve the issue, but after a few minutes, whatever the umpire has just live with it.
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 09:12am
In Memoriam

Cool on the head....

Quote:
Originally posted by joemoore
There is no rule against tagging in the head. However, if it is a malicious tag, that warrants a warning or ejection. Also, if it is a close play and the runner is tagged in the head, he is usually safe.

For 7-8 year olds, you did the right thing, try to find someone to quickly resolve the issue, but after a few minutes, whatever the umpire has just live with it.
joe,
A few years ago, at a little league game (in fact it was the last 8 teams in the state), I had an excellent catcher receive a throw at the plate and nicely tag the runner out. For that play at the plate I gave a very large “Out!!!”
The catcher then stood up to make a throw to third, but no teammates were around the bag as another runner approached third, so he held up.
The catcher lost his composure, and out of frustration, the catcher turned to the runner he had already tagged out (the runner was still sitting near the plate) and banged him on the top of the helmet so as to punctuate the out he got and the out he didn’t get at third.
As I called “Time”, I walked around the front of home plate, I removed my mask and pointed my finger straight at this little lad and said, “Don’t you ever do that again!”
I cleaned the plate and looked up. The 12-year-old kid was in tears! (Oh, my!)
I took my time getting in the position, and before I called “Play”, I asked if he was “good to go”. He was.
And, yes, after the game, which they lost, I had to talk to his Mom in the umpire tent. She was protective, but civil. She just felt she had to say something.
mick

Old Tue May 29, 2001, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

"The catcher lost his composure, and out of frustration, the catcher turned to the runner he had already tagged out (the runner was still sitting near the plate) and banged him on the top of the helmet so as to punctuate the out he got and the out he didn’t get at third."

Flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct. To heck with warning. This is immediate ejection.

Bob
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 12:58pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Well yeah. But....

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"The catcher lost his composure, and out of frustration, the catcher turned to the runner he had already tagged out (the runner was still sitting near the plate) and banged him on the top of the helmet so as to punctuate the out he got and the out he didn’t get at third."

Flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct. To heck with warning. This is immediate ejection.

Bob
Bob,
I weighed that catcher's action against it being the State championships, the fact that the runner wasn't hurt, but his mom was also watching, my complete distaste for anything unsportamanlike, etc., etc., etc.
Making the tough decisions is why we get a motel room, and a hot dog.
mick
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote from an umpire:

"You live with the call and you die with the call.

I would never change a call unless I was 110% that I made a wrong call. I would not suggest allowing the coach to bring the rule book out

Greg