The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Indiana State test (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/23925-indiana-state-test.html)

sm_bbcoach Wed Dec 28, 2005 03:12pm

I am looking at taking the baseball test for the first time I January. Can any of you give me some advice as to what to study or sample of questions?

Thanks

seioaump Wed Dec 28, 2005 04:24pm

What part of Indiana are you in..??
I'm in southeastern Indiana.

My only advice is read questions thoroughly, the Federation likes to trick you by switching or leaving words out.

In past years, its gone in order from beginning of book to the end.

Good Luck

Thom Coste Wed Dec 28, 2005 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
I am looking at taking the baseball test for the first time I January. Can any of you give me some advice as to what to study or sample of questions?

Thanks

Know rule 2. Know the dead-ball table from rule 5. Study rules 6, 7, and 8. You'll need all this on the field anyway.

Without sounding like a commercial, I have found the ARS CD to be helpful. It has all the questions from the last five years. You'll get the "feel" of the Fed questions.

largeone59 Wed Dec 28, 2005 09:26pm

Know the rulebook so well that you can almost quote it verbatim.

But you gotta know rule 3 very good since that contains probably 70% of the FED-specific rules that differ from pro rules.

If at all possible, buy the case book at http://www.nfhs.com since that will also help you on the test.

Good luck!

Hint: you can skip rule 9. they never ask anything from it about scorekeeping.

LDUB Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by PWL
Sample Question:

Your umpire in A position. Long fly ball over head of F8. Your asleep and think it's a ground ball to F4, and hustle into position to make safe/out call at 1B. BR digging hard for extra bases runs into you, and you fall on top of BR. 1B coach goes over and rolls you off BR so he can continue to 2B. What is the proper call?

A) Call BR out for coaches interference
B) Call umpire interference and award BR the base you think he would have obtained if you hadn't been asleep
C) Call 911 because you've fallen and you can't get up
D) Call Domino's Pizza

I believe the original question was about the Federation test, not the Texas test.

briancurtin Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:26am

^zing

LDUB Thu Dec 29, 2005 01:43am

Quote:

Originally posted by PWL
BTW-You still didn't answer the sample question.
I choose a modified C.

I would press the button on my Life Alert pendant hanging from my neck.

Pete in AZ Thu Dec 29, 2005 03:27am

The Federation Test is Online in a few states

If you belong to a group, they usually have the old tests to study from. This will teach you what they meant by tricky questions. I like to use the previous part 2 exam since it is a better test. Some states use this for promotion and others use it to assign postseason games so it is hard to get the current one. Just know this about the HS rules, they are pretty different from pro. Look in the back and you'll see the rules differences. Note the points of emphasis and new rules since they always have those on the test. Good luck with the test and let us know how you did.

An early Happy New Year to everyone.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 29, 2005 09:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by PWL
Quote:

Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:

Originally posted by PWL
Sample Question:

Your umpire in A position. Long fly ball over head of F8. Your asleep and think it's a ground ball to F4, and hustle into position to make safe/out call at 1B. BR digging hard for extra bases runs into you, and you fall on top of BR. 1B coach goes over and rolls you off BR so he can continue to 2B. What is the proper call?

A) Call BR out for coaches interference
B) Call umpire interference and award BR the base you think he would have obtained if you hadn't been asleep
C) Call 911 because you've fallen and you can't get up
D) Call Domino's Pizza

I believe the original question was about the Federation test, not the Texas test.

I think this is in there because it happened to Carl.

This added bit of information makes this a "trick" question. Since Carl starts in B, even with no runners on base, BR would be out of the baseline when he ran into Carl. Call the BR out. ;)

LittleLeagueBob Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:26am

sm_bbcoach -

I'm in NE Indiana - you?

I have the 2005 level I and II tests at home...if you want, send me your email and I'll send them to you (Part I is already in electronic format thanks to a one of the members on this board - I'll have to scan in part II).

I'm also taking the test in Jan - I tried part I last weekend as a warm-up -- I thought it was pretty straight forward, I think only 1 or 2 of the "tricky" type questions. I plan on taking part II in a couple of weeks...

The state should have just sent you the rule and case books - read each of these at least 3x - when you get to the case book, after they give the ruling, go back to the rule book and re-read that section in light of that particular case - I found it very helpful in solidifying that rule in my mind. Good luck!

Bob

BigUmp56 Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:39pm

Bob:

I'm in North Central Indiana. I would greatly appreciate it if you would send me copies on pdf. if you have the time.

Thank you,

Tim.

[email protected]

sm_bbcoach Fri Dec 30, 2005 09:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by LittleLeagueBob
sm_bbcoach -

I'm in NE Indiana - you?

I have the 2005 level I and II tests at home...if you want, send me your email and I'll send them to you (Part I is already in electronic format thanks to a one of the members on this board - I'll have to scan in part II).

I'm also taking the test in Jan - I tried part I last weekend as a warm-up -- I thought it was pretty straight forward, I think only 1 or 2 of the "tricky" type questions. I plan on taking part II in a couple of weeks...

The state should have just sent you the rule and case books - read each of these at least 3x - when you get to the case book, after they give the ruling, go back to the rule book and re-read that section in light of that particular case - I found it very helpful in solidifying that rule in my mind. Good luck!

Bob

I am in NW IN. Thanks for the advise. My e-mail is: [email protected]

Thanks!!!!!!!