The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Rule question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/2370-rule-question.html)

Suppref Fri May 18, 2001 09:16am

I am a avid contributor to the Basketball area of this forum. I admittedly know nothing of the rules of baseball. I request an answer to the following question. My son plays 14-15 year old baseball. He injured the wrist on his glove hand a couple of weeks ago. He also pitches. Here's the question: Is the pitcher allowed to wear a wrist brace on his glove hand. I know there is some kind of restriction for wrist/arm bands for pitchers. Thanks in advance for the answers.

joemoore Fri May 18, 2001 09:18am

It can't be distracting. If it's the same color as his glove, you should be ok.

Suppref Fri May 18, 2001 09:33am

Thanks but...

Quote:

Originally posted by joemoore
Again, I'm ignorant to the rules so....

Why would it have to match the glove color. If the wrist support were balck and wrapped around the thumb first then around the wrist for support, some of it would be in the mitt, would that be a problem? Or could the wrist and thumb be wrapped in white athletic tape? Would that be different/ better?

Bfair Fri May 18, 2001 10:15am

Re: Thanks but...

Quote:

Originally posted by Suppref
Quote:

Again, I'm ignorant to the rules so....

Why would it have to match the glove color. If the wrist support were balck and wrapped around the thumb first then around the wrist for support, some of it would be in the mitt, would that be a problem? Or could the wrist and thumb be wrapped in white athletic tape? Would that be different/ better?

We don't make the rules, we just enforce them.

BTW, it could also be the color of his flesh.

Steve

PeteBooth Fri May 18, 2001 01:25pm

<i> Originally posted by Suppref </i>

My son plays 14-15 year old baseball. He injured the wrist on his glove hand a couple of weeks ago. He also pitches. Here's the question: Is the pitcher allowed to wear a wrist brace on his glove hand. I know there is some kind of restriction for wrist/arm bands for pitchers. Thanks in advance for the answers. </b>

The applicable rule in HS is 6-2-1f
Illegal acts by F1 include:

Wearing any items on the hands, wrists or arms that may be distracting to the batter.

Penalty: - Correct before the next pitch.

Pete Booth

Suppref Fri May 18, 2001 01:31pm

Thanks!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by PeteBooth
<i> Originally posted by Suppref </i>

The applicable rule in HS is 6-2-1f
Illegal acts by F1 include:

Wearing any items on the hands, wrists or arms that may be distracting to the batter.

Penalty: - Correct before the next pitch.

Pete Booth

That's exactly what I was looking for. It's nice to know the Baseball guys/gals are as good with the rules as the Basketball guys/gals:)!!!

badbamaump Sat May 19, 2001 09:04am

Anddddd, You

expected what from us???? LOL....just wondering.

Will

"That's exactly what I was looking for. It's nice to know the Baseball guys/gals are as good with the rules as the Basketball guys/gals!!!"

TONY ADK Sun Jun 03, 2001 01:19am

WHITE TAPE

While a band the color of the glove would be ok or a flesh colored bandage in exceptable. WHITE TAPE CANNOT BE ALLOWED! This is the same color of a baseball and could fool the batter into thinking the ball is still in the pitchers glove. Come on guys think.

badbamaump Sun Jun 03, 2001 10:22am

Ummmmmm

Tony,
I think we've got this covered....thank you. We'll try to live up to the standards you've set for us.

Will

joemoore Sun Jun 03, 2001 11:34am

This has happens all the time. The pitcher ties his shoes and secretly gets some white tape on his wrist. When he pitches, the batters don't swing because they see the tape, the runners are diving back to their bases.

I hear that white (I mean really white) pitchers are being recruited. They go to the beach to get all tan, but they wear a watch. Then when they pitch without a watch their skin decoys all the batters and runners.

What's that patch of white on his wrist? Could it be the ball? Oh no!

mick Sun Jun 03, 2001 11:43am

Thanks for that explanation.

Quote:

This has happens all the time. The pitcher ties his shoes and secretly gets some white tape on his wrist. When he pitches, the batters don't swing because they see the tape, the runners are diving back to their bases.

I hear that white (I mean really white) pitchers are being recruited. They go to the beach to get all tan, but they wear a watch. Then when they pitch without a watch their skin decoys all the batters and runners.

What's that patch of white on his wrist? Could it be the ball? Oh no!

Joe,
That had to be the reason for my .133 lifetime average. :)
mick