The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 16, 2001, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

When a batter steps out of the box to hit a pitch, does it matter if it is a fair/foul ball? Is he out no matter?

Also, if every time there is a walk, the catcher throws down to first base to ensure the batter/runner does not over run first base. One time in doing this, the runner was outside the runners lane and the catcher hit him with the ball on the throw down. My question....does a runner have to stay inside the lane even on a walk?

Max
Old Wed May 16, 2001, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whowefoolin
When a batter steps out of the box to hit a pitch, does it matter if it is a fair/foul ball? Is he out no matter?

Also, if every time there is a walk, the catcher throws down to first base to ensure the batter/runner does not over run first base. One time in doing this, the runner was outside the runners lane and the catcher hit him with the ball on the throw down. My question....does a runner have to stay inside the lane even on a walk?

Max
I don't think it matters if it is fair or foul but I'm not sure. However, I do believe that at least one foot must be completely out side of the batter's box and touching the ground at the time of the fair or foul ball hit in order for him to be called out.

You got me on the second question.

Greg

[Edited by Gre144 on May 16th, 2001 at 11:54 AM]
Old Wed May 16, 2001, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Batter's out if he hits the ball with one (or both) feet on the ground completely outside the batter's box. No requirement that it be fair. 6.06(a)

On a BB the batter is entitled to first without liability to be out out. 6.08(a) Until he reaches first there can be no play or attempted play on him so there is nothing to interferes with.
Old Wed May 16, 2001, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Batter's out if he hits the ball with one (or both) feet on the ground completely outside the batter's box. No requirement that it be fair. 6.06(a)

On a BB the batter is entitled to first without liability to be out out. 6.08(a) Until he reaches first there can be no play or attempted play on him so there is nothing to interferes with.
But, if that throw goes out of play after hitting the BR then we have a horse of a neon color.....
Old Wed May 16, 2001, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

But, if that throw goes out of play after hitting the BR then we have a horse of a neon color..... [/B][/QUOTE]

Would we give him second if the ball hit him and then went into dead ball territory?
Old Wed May 16, 2001, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144

But, if that throw goes out of play after hitting the BR then we have a horse of a neon color.....
Would we give him second if the ball hit him and then went into dead ball territory? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, same as any thrown ball out of play.

P-Sz
Old Thu May 17, 2001, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

I believe the batter/runner should get 3B. By the walk, he should be assumed to have established 1B. The throw by the catcher would be a second play. I may be wrong, but it sounds right to me.

Bob
Old Thu May 17, 2001, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
I believe the batter/runner should get 3B. By the walk, he should be assumed to have established 1B. The throw by the catcher would be a second play. I may be wrong, but it sounds right to me.

Bob
I believe you are wrong. Just because the runner has been awarded first initially doesn't mean he has reached it. This is the same tenet as the original situation:

If ball four goes out of play, the BR is awarded one base, first, even though he was awarded first on the base on balls.

If the catcher throws a ball out of play immediately after ball four, the BR is awarded two bases, second, even though he was awarded first on the base on balls.

P-Sz
Old Thu May 17, 2001, 01:15pm
Michael Taylor

The award is from TOP so second as Patrick said.
Old Thu May 17, 2001, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra

Bob
What if he thinks that it is strike three and enters the dugout before touching first-Would you give him the base anyways because of the walk or would you call him out for not reaching first base and entering the dugout?