The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Buck and McCarver (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/22807-buck-mccarver.html)

SanDiegoSteve Sun Oct 23, 2005 09:58pm

What a couple of Cardinal homers. Let's look at that replay 100 times in super slo-mo, while Jeff got one look and listen in real time. I feel like Slamalamadingdonging Joe Buck upside the head!

JRutledge Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:04pm

I am not a person to defend announcers, but what else did you expect them to say? The call was missed and I did not hear them rip the guy (I did walk out of the room for a minute). I just heard them talk about a tough call. Was something said that was specifically out of line.

Peace

SanDiegoSteve Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:07pm

No, I just tire of the announcers replaying calls over and over, just to blame the umpires for the game's outcome. Not just talking about this particlular call, really. Just can't stand Buck or McCarver. I was one who cheered when Dion Sanders doused Timmy in the locker room that time.

JRutledge Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:17pm

I do not know that the decision to run the replays over and over is a result of what the announcers want. Usually that is a director decision.

Peace

SanDiegoSteve Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:23pm

Yes, you are right, the directors and network personnel are in charge of replay. But what would I want the announcers to say?

Okay, something like "the replay showed that the ball hit the bat, but Jeff Nelson only got one look at it, and that was in real time, without the benefit of all the slow motion replays that we have the luxury of viewing, so let's not all blame everything on the umpire."

Or words to that effect.:D

JRutledge Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:31pm

Here is the problem they are not umpires. What they said is exactly what I would expect from a player and a life long announcer.

Well I guess that homerun take a lot off the umpire.

Peace

WhatWuzThatBlue Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:31pm

I believe that was Harry Carey during a rain delay. It is played all of the time on WGN radio. Harry loses it when he responds to the camera finding a couple of lovebirds in the upper balcony during a rain delay.

As far as the call goes, we've all been there. I just found it gutless that Dye was quoted as saying that he's not going to tell the ump that it didn't hit him. Yes, he has a vested interest in the game, but this is not classy. Jeff called a great game and the Sox look tough whenever they get the benefit of bad calls. I'm a Cub fan after all...Bartman was probably a Sox fan!

JRutledge Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
I'm a Cub fan after all...Bartman was probably a Sox fan!
Now I realize why we never got along. ;)

Peace

GarthB Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:34pm

While there is no permanent record of this actually being said, in a speech on the lecture circuit Dizzy did claim he said it during a bad Yankee game in the early 60's. His version was that Pee Wee said: "Hey look Diz, he's kissing her on the strikes." To which Dean replied: "Yeah, and she's kissing him on the balls."

Peruvian Mon Oct 24, 2005 01:45pm

Anybody hear McCarver disect Pettite's pick-off move? They showed a split-screen of Andy going home and throwing over to first. He said, "If he brings his right leg behind his left leg, he has to go home with the pitch."

It's no wonder everybody and their uncle thinks that's a balk.

bkbjones Mon Oct 24, 2005 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by GarthB
While there is no permanent record of this actually being said, in a speech on the lecture circuit Dizzy did claim he said it during a bad Yankee game in the early 60's. His version was that Pee Wee said: "Hey look Diz, he's kissing her on the strikes." To which Dean replied: "Yeah, and she's kissing him on the balls."
Garth,
I THINK Dean was actually referring to Bud Blattner and not Pee Wee, but will check one of my favorite books tonight...

And...I do it the old fashioned way, cuz I can't stand McCarver or Joe Buck...watch TV and listen to Miller and Morgan...

umpduck11 Mon Oct 24, 2005 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Peruvian
Anybody hear McCarver disect Pettite's pick-off move? They showed a split-screen of Andy going home and throwing over to first. He said, "If he brings his right leg behind his left leg, he has to go home with the pitch."

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to catch
that little pearl of wisdom.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Oct 24, 2005 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by umpduck11
Quote:

Originally posted by Peruvian

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to catch
that little pearl of wisdom.

Umpduck, you certainly weren't the only one to catch Mr. KnowitAll(not) misinterpreting another rule. Your signature line sums it up as well as anyone can!

JJ Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:13pm

Isn't it interesting that every year we get to see a half dozen new camera angles in the Series, but the same old voice-over explanations? When will the networks wise up and up put a knowledgeable umpire (active or retired) in the booth to give some VALID insight into the why's and wherefore's of the plays that are picked apart?

JJ

umpduck11 Tue Oct 25, 2005 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JJ
Isn't it interesting that every year we get to see a half dozen new camera angles in the Series, but the same old voice-over explanations? When will the networks wise up and up put a knowledgeable umpire (active or retired) in the booth to give some VALID insight into the why's and wherefore's of the plays that are picked apart?

JJ

When? Never.No self-respecting umpire would work
in the booth,because the network would expect him
to pull a Buck/McCarver and throw his compatriots
under the proverbial bus.

briancurtin Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:09pm

i like mccarver's comment about the last play: "blah...gary cederstrom at first base, got the call right, blah..."

cmckenna Thu Oct 27, 2005 08:48am

http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/