The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   World Series Umpires (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/22756-world-series-umpires.html)

johnSandlin Thu Oct 20, 2005 03:18pm

I have not seen anything posted yet on MLB's site or World Umpire's site about the umpires assigned to the World Series.

Does anybody know possibly who has been assigned?

34445 Thu Oct 20, 2005 05:08pm

The 2005 WS Umpires and their game one assignments are

Joe West HP
Jeff Nelson 1B
Jerry Lane 2B
Derryl Cousins 3B
Gary Cederstrom LF
Angel Hernandez RF

This information is available on the MLB website. They will be wearing a patch with the initials "C.W." for the former Major League Umpire Charlie Williams who died earlier in the year. As a side note, has anyone noticed that Froemming has not had a post-season assignment in a couple of years? I wonder if this is his punishment for the remark he made a few years ago.

rulesmaven Thu Oct 20, 2005 06:27pm

Is it still the case that game 7 positions rotate back to what they were for game 1?

SanDiegoSteve Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by rulesmaven
Is it still the case that game 7 positions rotate back to what they were for game 1?
Yes. Joe could get two plates.

johnSandlin Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:11am

I am happy to see that Layne, Nelson, and Cederstrom got the nod for the World Series with Joe West as the crew chief. Looks like a very good crew assigned.

GarthB Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by johnSandlin
I am happy to see that Layne, Nelson, and Cederstrom got the nod for the World Series with Joe West as the crew chief. Looks like a very good crew assigned.
Conspicuous by its absence is reference to Hernandez. The last time I saw him in right field, he was horrendous.

Let's pray the series is over in five games.

mattmets Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by GarthB
Let's pray the series is over in five games.
Too bad there will have to be a game 4 too.

jpc2119 Fri Oct 21, 2005 01:55pm

i think it's worth it to go to game 7 just to see Jeff Nelson punch a few guys out on close plays at first...nobody does it better.

GarthB Fri Oct 21, 2005 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jpc2119
i think it's worth it to go to game 7 just to see Jeff Nelson punch a few guys out on close plays at first...nobody does it better.
He'll get his chance in game one.

If it's over in four, Amazing Angel doesn't get beyond U2. Keep your fingers crossed.

jpc2119 Fri Oct 21, 2005 02:01pm

I'm confused as to why Hernandez gets so many postseason assignments. From what I hear (and see), he is clearly not one of the better umpires in MLB. So why the constant rewards?

Jay R Fri Oct 21, 2005 07:20pm

Mark Carlson is one of my favourites and seems very consistent when I see him. No post-season for him this year.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Oct 21, 2005 07:25pm

Where in the hell is Eddings? :D

KLooking Sat Oct 22, 2005 09:10am

Re:

ANGEL HERNANDEZ????????

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN'!

rs1128 Sat Oct 22, 2005 09:20am

The Hernandez assignment does make you wonder how in the world this selection process is based on merit. If this is the best six-man crew they could come up with, something's not right.

And bear in mind, Angel doesn't have to be behind the plate to have a negative effect on a game. Questionable and objectionable calls can be made on the bases... and the foul lines too. Anyone remember Game one ALCS two years ago? Red Sox and Yankees. HR ball at the right field foul pole? Hernandez was the RF umpire and was overruled by McClelland from home plate.

GarthB Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:11am

Quote:

Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Where in the hell is Eddings? :D
The rules prohibit working two post season events successively. One can work the LDS and WS but not not LDS and the LCS, or the LCS and the WS.

Eddings is home in front of a mirror working on that new mechanic he spoke of.

Tim C Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:18am

Hehehehe,

"Anyone remember Game one ALCS two years ago? Red Sox and Yankees. HR ball at the right field foul pole? Hernandez was the RF umpire and was overruled by McClelland from home plate."

----

Sure, what I really remember is that McClelland overruled another umpire (without conference and directly against the rules), made an incorrect ruling and then made the famous statement:

"I saw the ball hit the foul pole!" (Which we know NEVER happened.

Not supporting Hernandez at all, but it would have been better to mention a play where Hernandez was actually incorrect.

There are many that could be referenced.

RPatrino Sat Oct 22, 2005 06:34pm

If we get past game 4, it could get very interesting indeed.

BP

DG Sat Oct 22, 2005 09:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RPatrino

BP

IF? Do you expect this to be done in 4?

TBBlue Mon Oct 24, 2005 08:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by DG
Quote:

BP

The way the Sox are playing...it's looking good.

DG Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TBBlue
Quote:

Originally posted by DG
Quote:

BP

The way the Sox are playing...it's looking good.

I never thought that would happen. Congratulations to the Sox.

Sal Giaco Thu Oct 27, 2005 09:32am

Re: Hehehehe,

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim C

Sure, what I really remember is that McClelland overruled another umpire (without conference and directly against the rules), made an incorrect ruling and then made the famous statement:

"I saw the ball hit the foul pole!" (Which we know NEVER happened.

Not supporting Hernandez at all, but it would have been better to mention a play where Hernandez was actually incorrect.

Tim,
McClelland actually got the HR call CORRECT. Angel called it a foul ball and McClelland overuled him right away (during the play as the batter was rounding the bases).

Yeah, it looked bad for Tim to do that and I probably would never do that to my partner without atleast talking about it first, but McClelland fair ball ruling was correct.

mcrowder Thu Oct 27, 2005 09:38am

Way to entirely miss the point, Sal.

rs1128 Thu Oct 27, 2005 01:26pm

I brought up Hernandez in 03 ALCS Game one, thinking he had called that ball foul when it was fair. I didn't see McClelland's comments at the time (about his seeing it hit the foul pole). I thought it was fair, Hernandez got it wrong, and McClelland (rightly or wrongly as far jumping in and doing so) reversed it. My bad if Angel got it right. I wouldn't have used it an example of a bad call if it wasn't. I thought he called a cleary fair ball as foul.