The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

There was apparently someone from this board (or possibly one of the others, but this topic has been hottest on this one and eteamz).

An umpire named Steve called the afternoon drive time guys (2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.) at Houston 610 sports radio and at least attempted to explain the DK3 rule and comment on why the HP umpire in the Sox/Halos game may have called what he called.

Steve (the unknown umpire who called - unknown at least by me) was very articulate, calm and made a real attempt to try and explain some simple umpire mechanics in such situations..........he did a good job of representing our community........

One of the talking heads proclaimed........."Mechanics........Mechanics........we don't need no stinking Mechanics........." (paraphrasing)

IOW........the Sports Radio guys have no interest in learning the rules or even entertaining a different perspective........one even stated that the batter should have been called out since he started towards the dugout and was "out of the baseline"..........Geeezzzzz

Steve (who apparently actually could have added a different perspective to their reporting) was dismissed with a "well.....I guess we will have to agree to disagree"................

Sometimes I wonder why we entertain the thought that we might just someday educate the masses on one or two simple rules..............I wish..........

The 6:00 to 10:00 p.m. guys were even more brutal in crucifying the PU in last nights game..........I did not hear the morning guys at 6:30 a.m. as I am already at work.......

I know when my oldest was in HS starting Basketball...........I realized how horrible the Referee heckling was..........and how IGNORANT the parents/fans were of the rules..........

As a member of TASO (Texas Association of Sports Officials)........I printed up a bunch of TASO applications and passed them out to the worst offenders letting them know that "their vast knowledge of Basketball rules would be greatly appreciated and their application should be sent to TASO immediately"............

Needless to say...........I spent many a lonely game in the gym isolated by my other fans and parents............(Thank God)

I do have a question though............

When I called Baseball (around 20 years ago)..........the hammer was the expected mechanic for any swinging 3rd strike........in a DK3 situation..........I was taught to indicate the strike 3 (hammer) and then do a punch out (with no verbal) for the out if the pitch was caught.......

I know the hammer is passe' in amateur baseball...........so what is the proper mechanic for the DK3?

So Steve........whoever you are............you tried.................good for you!

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Oct 13th, 2005 at 10:36 PM]
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

did this guy say "hi im steve from houston, long time listener, first time caller, but i post on officialforum.com?"