The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 07:50pm

The broadcasters are wasting no time misinterpreting rules again, here in Game 2 of the ACLS. Washburn's undershirt has one long sleeve and one no sleeve. They are saying that Guillen could request him to change it, but the rule does not mention undershirt sleeve length. It only mentions uniform sleeve length, and undershirt color.

Rules 1.11(a)(2) and 1.11(c)(1)

Steve
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
The broadcasters are wasting no time misinterpreting rules again, here in Game 2 of the ACLS. Washburn's undershirt has one long sleeve and one no sleeve. They are saying that Guillen could request him to change it, but the rule does not mention undershirt sleeve length. It only mentions uniform sleeve length, and undershirt color.

Rules 1.11(a)(2) and 1.11(c)(1)

Steve
1.11(c)(1) does not mention uniform sleeves, or undershirt sleeves. It just says "sleeves".

"Situations: The pitcher takes the mound to start the game. His pitching-arm undershirt sleeve is 3 inches above his elbow. His other sleeve is near his wrist.
RULING: The umpire should give him the option of changing undershirts removing this one, or having the trainer balance the sleeves by trimming. This variation exceeds the "approximately same length" guideline."

I don't allow pitchers with vastly different undershirt sleeve lengths to pitch.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 08:35pm

Well, my previous post is moot now, I just saw the grey sleeve on Washburn's right arm. Oops.

In all my years of umpiring, I have never had anyone question sleeve length, only when pitchers would try white undershirt sleeves, which I have them remove.

You are right 1.11(c)(1) does not distinguish between uniform or undershirt. Apparently I misinterpreted that "sleeve" refered to the uni shirt.

Well, I kicked that one. Everybody pile on!
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

At the MLB level, this is not a distraction and anyone above LL level would be an a$$hole for even mentioning it! MLB announcers are a$$holes so there you are!
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 12:20pm

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
At the MLB level, this is not a distraction and anyone above LL level would be an a$$hole for even mentioning it! MLB announcers are a$$holes so there you are!
Well put. Thank you for illustrating my original point!
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Well put. Thank you for illustrating my original point!
The quote I made above was from Evans, so I guess if some a$$hole above LL mentions it, Evans would agree with them and enforce his interpretation of 1.11(c)(1). And so will I.

On another subject you mentioned, white sleeves are not specifically prohibited in MLB rules. They are prohibited in FED and NCAA, however. The undershirt length and color is covered in item 519 in 2005 BRD.

[Edited by DG on Oct 15th, 2005 at 07:11 PM]