The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Red face

I posted this on other boards, but I don't see all of the people I've grown to respect on this board on those sites, so I decided to post it here as well!

Well everyone the season finally ends for me this weekend. My middle son Matthew will play his last fall ball game on Sunday.

I only had to work one game during our fall ball league play for LL this season. That was only because of a late cancellation.

I promised Matthew I would help him make the transition to the big diamond and not work any games so I could spend more time with him. With the exception of the one game, that's what I did.

I enjoyed watching some of our younger umpires step up and do most of these games.
It's nice to see the tradition being carried on in our association.

I also enjoyed just being a passive spectator at my sons games for a while. The games were all played in a park other than ours where I am the UIC. Because the games were in another park, I was not constantly being challenged with questions about the calls.

The leaves are slowly turning and the fall air is growing colder. It won't be long before the snow falls again removing thoughts of baseball for most umpires around here until next year.

I'm curious as to how many of you are in States where weather permitts baseball to be played either year round or at least for quite a while more this season. I hope there are a few of you that can keep things alive on the board for a while longer.

Hat's of to all my brothers and sisters in blue that made the 2005 season another great one!!

Tim.

Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Here in No. VA, we have a pretty full schedule until the end of October and there are still a few games a week or so into November. I have 22 games scheduled for the first half of October and would expect more or less the same for the second half. Last year, my last scheduled game was November 14th; the last actual game was November 10th. Evenings can be pretty cool and cancellations/no-shows increase as the temperature decreases.

A couple of years ago, I did a doubleheader involving two AAU teams (both named Rebels -- one from Baltimore, one from Manassas, VA) on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I guess someone saw the long range weather forecast that predicted fair weather that day. It was a great day -- bright sun, scattered clouds, temperature in the low 60s. It helps that the AAU teams practice year around.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 11:30am
Do not give a damn!!

How long do you guys work baseball? You season just ended in October? My season has been over as far as I am concerned back in May.

I did work a tournament in August, but that was a special event. I worked more basketball this summer than any baseball game. I cannot imagine working much baseball after the spring.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

baseball

jeff,
I work a limited schedule durng the spring........mainly because of my job. I can only get off early so many times a a week. So I am limited to 2 HS games a week in the spring....but when summer comes and the summer leagues begin games at 6Pm or so, My season gets in full swing.....We have summer youth leagues up to Legion and Adult leagues all summer and tournament time until early to mid august.......

I've had a limited fall schedule 4-6 games......but Ive been basically wrapped up since mid august....
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
How long do you guys work baseball? You season just ended in October? My season has been over as far as I am concerned back in May.

I did work a tournament in August, but that was a special event. I worked more basketball this summer than any baseball game. I cannot imagine working much baseball after the spring.

Peace
I took his question as one more related to weather than personal preferences. We all know that baseball is down on your list of preferences.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

My first game last year was on Feb 21, last game on Oct 24. This year, my first game was on Feb 12, last game will most likely be around Oct 23. August was a break month both years. The past 2 years are typical. I only do baseball, no basketball, football, etc.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 10:28pm
Veteran College Umpire

I did my final game of 2005 yesterday - a Fall college game. Temps were in the upper 80's (today it's in the upper 50's, so I timed it just right!). I quit basketball five years ago to prolong my baseball career - great move, as it has turned out. Just got my 2006 schedule today - 9 conference weekends - so I'm a happy camper. Now, if I can just get - and STAY - in shape before then...
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Up here in Canada where there's ten months of snow and two months of tough sledding (just kidding), my on field year finishes at the end of October with University Championships, and then I start teaching umpiring at the beginning of February. On field work starts early April. It's been a great year of learning and mentoring.