The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pre game Meeting (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/2232-pre-game-meeting.html)

Robert G Wed Apr 25, 2001 10:27am

I was the Pu & we had the meeting at home with the coaches before the game. My partner who has more experience & a lot older went through the pre- game chat then asked if I had anything to add.
I was a liitle offended, I thought the Pu conducts the meeting, & took away from my credibility.
Am I being a little to sensitive, or should I politely say something if we work together again?

JRutledge Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:21pm

You have every right to

be upset. You are the one in charge technically, so you need to be the one running the meeting. The plate umpire is the Umpire in Chief and you and only you is the one that can make cetain decisions, like forfeiting a game for example. Your partner in this case (base umpire) cannot. You need to run that meeting. If he wanted to be in charge, he should have put on his equiptment.

I would just have said to him later, "should I have run the meeting?" And just wait for his response. If he seems combative about the situation, report him to your assignor, state, or association if you feel it needs to be. But understand, you will take the heat ultimitely if something happens in that game. It is the same in basketball and the Referee. The Referee is in charge and runs the pregame meeting with the captains and coaches. There is no option there, period.

badbamaump Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:21pm

Yup....I would be offended. Depending on the age group, but an experienced coach would've noticed this too. Did you catch a lot of grief during this game? The plate meeting is a good chance to establish you're in charge. A confident, professional plate meeting goes a long way to set the "tone" for the game. IMHO your pard showed you up. The only time my BU gets to talk is when we introduce ourselves and when I ask him, "you got anything to add?"

Don't let this happen again....but this is just my lil ole CSA cents worth.

Will

PAblue87 Wed Apr 25, 2001 09:34pm

Be assertive

When you step to the plate. Introduce yourself first, ask for lineup cards, ask home team to take you through the groung rules, etc. Do not even give your partner the time to sya anything the next time you work the plate with him.

BTW - is it me being picky, or does it bother anyone when the plate conference does not take place at the plate?(A lot of our older umps conduct these meetings all over) Or when your partner does not stand opposite you at home plate with his back facing the field.

JRutledge Wed Apr 25, 2001 10:16pm

Re: Be assertive

Quote:

Originally posted by PAblue87

BTW - is it me being picky, or does it bother anyone when the plate conference does not take place at the plate?(A lot of our older umps conduct these meetings all over) Or when your partner does not stand opposite you at home plate with his back facing the field.

No, it is not just you. I feel that is where it should take place and I make sure it is at the plate every time.

johnSandlin Sun May 06, 2001 08:35pm

You have every right to be upset. Like the other responses have stated, the PU is in charge of the conference and not the BU. I would recommend the next time you work with this particular umpire, you politely address the situation.