The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Umpire dress (Jays-Rays) (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/22004-umpire-dress-jays-rays.html)

Jay R Sat Sep 03, 2005 07:47am

Did anyone see the umpires in Friday night's game between Toronto and Tampa Bay. Their gear must not have arrived. The base umpires had dark grey pants and very colourful shoes. The plate umpire had pants that looked like sweat pants of some kind. The announcers did not mention anything when I was watching, but their gear must have gone missing.

Jay

mattmets Sat Sep 03, 2005 02:14pm

Customs issue maybe?

I remember this happening once before in a Braves-Mets game in new york. I think it was Randy Marsh's crew then too....they worked the game in Braves t-shirts and shorts.

briancurtin Sat Sep 03, 2005 02:31pm

this happened at a cubs game last year. BUs wore jeans and spare blue turf shoes, adjustable MLB hats, and the old base jackets with just two white stripes with black between them.

oh yeah, might want to mention that it was 90+ degrees.

PU had the proper stuff if i remember correctly

FLUmp23 Sat Sep 03, 2005 03:26pm

happened last night in Boston too....

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Sat Sep 03, 2005 07:26pm

You see it all the time...Luciano has a pic of himself in similar circumstances in THE UMPIRE STRIKES BACK. Which begs the question- does the umps gear theoretically travel on the same plane with them??? Or is it shipped separately somehow?

scottyman51 Sat Sep 03, 2005 07:41pm

FLUmp23 "happened last night in Boston too...."

Are you sure? I saw the biginning 3 or 4 innings and to me everything seemed to be normal,or at least Tim Timmons has normal stuff on.They have the usual stuff on tonight,or at least i think. I have alot on my mind right now so maybe i just didnt notice.

[Edited by scottyman51 on Sep 3rd, 2005 at 08:57 PM]

bob jenkins Sat Sep 03, 2005 08:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
You see it all the time...Luciano has a pic of himself in similar circumstances in THE UMPIRE STRIKES BACK. Which begs the question- does the umps gear theoretically travel on the same plane with them??? Or is it shipped separately somehow?

It used to be shipped by (whoever the union's lawyer was -- Richie ...) freight compnay. Didn't necessarily go on the same plane.

3appleshigh Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:26am

DHL

I believe DHL is the shipping company used to ship the umpire equipment. But it is couriered, not luggage.

whistleone Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:15pm

Why wouldn't they carry on a spare uniform?

briancurtin Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by whistleone
Why wouldn't they carry on a spare uniform?
when you pack for a long vacation, do you have room for an extra pair of pants, extra shirt and undershirt, jock/cup, hat, and pair of shoes, in the bags you already have stuffed with your every day clothes? thats just the basics to do the bases.

mrm21711 Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:30pm

I dont understand why they dont travel with their stuff.

socalblue1 Tue Sep 06, 2005 04:18am

As others have stated, when one lives on the road for weeks at a time there simply is not room for extra stuff.

Consider that:

1. All MLB teams have at least one major airport.

2. Umpires only have so much room to pack equipment and uniforms.

3. MLB teams have a clubhouse attendant that takes care uf the umpires (Washing uniforms, etc).

It's not too much of a stretch to have a the clubhouse wash & finish packing the trunks and send them out via DHL (Or whoever handles it for MLB) and have things arrive on time.

MLB umpire rotation is 3rd, 2nd, First, Plate. The next game plate umpire normally ships his trunk out a day early, unless the crew has an off / travel day between assignments.

Considering the number of MLB crews and how much they travel, it's a wonder these things don't happen more often. Having known several clubhouse folks over the years, I know how hard they work (The umpires truly appreciate them too) to ensure that things go smoothly.

3appleshigh Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:52am

almost no space

The umpire's carry a small carry on, that's it, they dont have room for a spare set of clothes. The reasons are they have customs when the come to Canada, and when they leave, they also often do not have a lot of time, often finish a game strip, shower, dress and catch a flight, thats the entire time frame, they don't have the time to check and p/u bags.

<edited for spelling>

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:34pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by socalblue1
As others have stated, when one lives on the road for weeks at a time there simply is not room for extra stuff.

Consider that:

1. All MLB teams have at least one major airport.

2. Umpires only have so much room to pack equipment and uniforms.

3. MLB teams have a clubhouse attendant that takes care uf the umpires (Washing uniforms, etc).

It's not too much of a stretch to have a the clubhouse wash & finish packing the trunks and send them out via DHL (Or whoever handles it for MLB) and have things arrive on time

MLB umpire rotation is 3rd, 2nd, First, Plate. The next game plate umpire normally ships his trunk out a day early, unless the crew has an off / travel day between assignments.[QUOTE]

this is why a lot of times, if HP gets hurt,either 2B or 3B takes the plate

Quote:

Considering the number of MLB crews and how much they travel, it's a wonder these things don't happen more often. Having known several clubhouse folks over the years, I know how hard they work (The umpires truly appreciate them too) to ensure that things go smoothly.