The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Please someone settle this scenario for me. Little League 9-10 yr olds, a coach has his players round third and lead half way, when catcher throws ball to circle runner steals home which happens, also if the catcher throws to third same thing happens. What ends up happening and remember it's 9-10 yr olds is that the catcher holds onto the ball and they are at a stand still and the ump allows him/her a time out to throw ball back to the pitcher. The game could go on forever if the catcher continues to run the runner back to third. I say in the spirit of the game allow the timeout they are 9, but a few coaches say it isn't the rule and tough. These players wouldn't do it in the older leagues because the players will catch the ball and they would be out. What do you think? Thanks!!
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RUBLIND?
Please someone settle this scenario for me. Little League 9-10 yr olds, a coach has his players round third and lead half way, when catcher throws ball to circle runner steals home which happens, also if the catcher throws to third same thing happens. What ends up happening and remember it's 9-10 yr olds is that the catcher holds onto the ball and they are at a stand still and the ump allows him/her a time out to throw ball back to the pitcher. The game could go on forever if the catcher continues to run the runner back to third. I say in the spirit of the game allow the timeout they are 9, but a few coaches say it isn't the rule and tough. These players wouldn't do it in the older leagues because the players will catch the ball and they would be out. What do you think? Thanks!!
In the spirit of the game, teach the catcher to smack the runner upside the head with the ball. One or two times will fix their little butts and they won't be trying any of the stuff anymore..

Actually, a lot of leagues at that age play, that the runner can't go home unless played on or driven in by a hit.
But I gaurentee you the coaches will tell you that is NOT baseball and the kids have to learn when they go to the pro's at 11 yrs old.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

another option(s)

There's always the option of asking the coach 'So, ya gonna send him, 'cause I'd like to get on with the game'. This works best coming from Umpire, but works 'ok' coming from defense.
Option two, catcher walks down to third. Hands ball to third baseman. Walks back to plate and takes his postion behind plate. Pitcher mounts rubber and third throws him the ball. I think by LL rules if catcher is ready to receive and pitcher is on mound the runner has to be on the base. Pitch the ball with him off and he's out.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :-)
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

It's been a few years since I coached 9-10 year olds, but if I could not develop and coach a strategy for my team to get an out in this situation, I would just quit. I runner who wants to run halfway between 3b and home and stop, is an EO (easy out) on teams I coached.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
It's been a few years since I coached 9-10 year olds, but if I could not develop and coach a strategy for my team to get an out in this situation, I would just quit. I runner who wants to run halfway between 3b and home and stop, is an EO (easy out) on teams I coached.
Most kids at this age would be lucky to make 2 throws without an overthrow/ball being dropped. Catcher should run the runner back to 3rd then get the ball to the pitcher. Then he heads back to home plate himself. Or the pitcher can come to home and take the ball, run the runner back to 3rd then get to the circle. There are ways to combat it even if you have a poor team on defense.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Most kids at this age would be lucky to make 2 throws without an overthrow/ball being dropped. Catcher should run the runner back to 3rd then get the ball to the pitcher. Then he heads back to home plate himself. Or the pitcher can come to home and take the ball, run the runner back to 3rd then get to the circle. There are ways to combat it even if you have a poor team on defense.
How about pitcher move over to near the line, directly beside the runner, and about a yard back toward 3b, and catcher throw the ball to him? If the runner tries to go back to 3b, which is the likely result, tag him. If he goes home throw back to the catcher for an easy tag.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 10:12am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
teach them to pick the little sh*ts off and then they wont do it anymore.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Minor point but connected to the topic title but not really the content: let us all remember that players and coaches "request" time, and umpires either grant ("call") it or not...........no player or coach should assume they have it until they hear an umpire grant it.....I go over this at every plate conference at every level...
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

You'll find, at least temporarily, a few more LL experienced umpires at http://www.eteamz.com who can provide you with great answers to LL questions. But this board is fast catching up.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

This same scenario happened to me my very first year. Defense had no clue what to do. None of the best advice would have helped them in this situation. The players could not throw or even catch a ball, etc.

OC repeatedly took advantage of the other team and went ballistic when I allowed a time out. He told the local LL board (other coaches) his side of the story and they bought it hook, line and sinker. I became the NEW OOO!

So I use the red flag I am suppose to drop when a runner leaves base early. If the runner returns to base soon after or action proceeds on the runner, I either wait or tell the catcher to stand on the plate and impersonate Clint Eastwood. Otherwise, I wave the red flag and call time out after all action has come to a complete stop. Then I warn both coaches that we have a time limit and resume the game.

I smile and wave the little red flag at them when asking me for a little league rule reference number found in Chapter 5.10, 9.01 and 9.04. Play Ball!

-----------------------------------------

This is my first go on this website. But I have read a lot of the BS provided by all the UMP-PITS and other RATS on this site. Please end your SOB-teamz stories, shut-up and PLAY FAIR!