The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Ejection Question? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/21086-ejection-question.html)

Kaliix Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:59am

Here is the situation:
Koufax summer league game and I am the PU. This one coach has already been warned for arguing balls and strikes. He is down 9-2 in the sixth. Close call at first for the last out of the inning. Before I know it, he's standing in front of me at home.

Coach, "Can I appeal that?"

I'm like "Appeal what?"

Coach "The out at first."

Me, incredulously "Nnnooooo." (Apparently he didn't like the way I said no)

Coach, "Your an a$$hole blue!"

Needless to say he immediately got the big finger wave.

Now the coach takes about a minute and leaves the field. The pitcher is starting to warm up and I call my partner down. I ask him if the coach is now in the bleachers down the first base line. He says yes. I told him if he makes a sound to send him to his car.

Don't you know after the last out, I go to put the balls down by the dugout and the ejected coach comes back on the field. Now he's in front of me saying, "You got show me more respect blue."

I said, "Well you need to learn the rules. You can't appeal a judgement call and if you want to argue with anyone, go to the umpire who made the call," as I was walking away.

Some questions,
1. Should I have insisted that the coach go to the parking lot? The stands were 15 feet away from the dugout and maybe a total of 10 feet from the fence (and there wasn't much foul territory, so he was close).

2. While I already let my assignor know about the ejection, I didn't include the after game incident. Should I have included that?

3. Did I perhaps bait the coach a little with my incredulous no answer. Should I even care?

TBBlue Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:25am

Quote:

Originally posted by Kaliix
Here is the situation:
Koufax summer league game and I am the PU. This one coach has already been warned for arguing balls and strikes. He is down 9-2 in the sixth. Close call at first for the last out of the inning. Before I know it, he's standing in front of me at home.

Coach, "Can I appeal that?"

I'm like "Appeal what?"

Coach "The out at first."

Me, incredulously "Nnnooooo." (Apparently he didn't like the way I said no)

Coach, "Your an a$$hole blue!"

Needless to say he immediately got the big finger wave.

Now the coach takes about a minute and leaves the field. The pitcher is starting to warm up and I call my partner down. I ask him if the coach is now in the bleachers down the first base line. He says yes. I told him if he makes a sound to send him to his car.

Don't you know after the last out, I go to put the balls down by the dugout and the ejected coach comes back on the field. Now he's in front of me saying, "You got show me more respect blue."

I said, "Well you need to learn the rules. You can't appeal a judgement call and if you want to argue with anyone, go to the umpire who made the call," as I was walking away.

Some questions,
1. Should I have insisted that the coach go to the parking lot? The stands were 15 feet away from the dugout and maybe a total of 10 feet from the fence (and there wasn't much foul territory, so he was close).

2. While I already let my assignor know about the ejection, I didn't include the after game incident. Should I have included that?

3. Did I perhaps bait the coach a little with my incredulous no answer. Should I even care?

1. Yep
2. Yep
3. a. Maybe b. Nope

drumbum565 Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:25am

I probly would have said "no sir that is a judgment call" and if he had given me any more lip i would have been like "sir get back in your dugout or your out of here"
then i probly would have thrown him out.

All that said i think you still handed the situation well mabie the sarcastic no might have been a little much but if it is a fediration game good old 10-1-4 learn it, preach it, obey it.

I also think that you should have made him go to his car. in one of the orginizations if they do not leave the playing field within one minute ther're team automaticly forfits the game that is a preaty good incentive if you want to bring that up to your orginization.

And the inccedent after the game i would have defenitly told my assigner about that. That is the kind of crap that can get a coach suspended.

Dudly Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:50pm

Out here in our neck of the woods, ejected coaches go to the parking lot. That said I have seen them massage the rules. i.e. ejected coaches son is up to bat soon so he would stand at the outfield fence to watch his son bat.

Did you know the coach Kaliix? In a small town I would think this wouldn't be that big of a deal as you most likely know and see each other often.
In a big city, I would be a bit more irriated by this. I am always careful after the game. I had a father come up to me after a basketball game one day. I had recently returned from the sandbox and was a bit jumpy when he grabbed my shoulder. Turned out we both had a good laugh (he also had recently returned).

bob jenkins Wed Jun 29, 2005 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by drumbum565
I probly would have said "no sir that is a judgment call" and if he had given me any more lip i would have been like "sir get back in your dugout or your out of here"
then i probly would have thrown him out.

Never give ultimatums. Never threaten.

Merely explain the behavior you want. The good coaches will know what you mean. The bad coaches will learn.

mcrowder Wed Jun 29, 2005 01:10pm

The "Noooo" might have been sarcastic, or a bit much, but didn't warrant coach's replay. Easy ejection. And yes, this means leave the premises. Ejected coach comes back on the field?!?!?! That game is over. Then let the board deal with him. There is NO place at all for an ejected coach to be coming back on the field, and this should have been dealt with in the sternest manner possible.

Kaliix Wed Jun 29, 2005 01:19pm

For clarification purposes, the coach came back on the field after the last out of the game. That only matters in that the game was already over at that point.

If it had been during the game, it would have ended in a forfeit right there.

Quote:

Originally posted by mcrowder
The "Noooo" might have been sarcastic, or a bit much, but didn't warrant coach's replay. Easy ejection. And yes, this means leave the premises. Ejected coach comes back on the field?!?!?! That game is over. Then let the board deal with him. There is NO place at all for an ejected coach to be coming back on the field, and this should have been dealt with in the sternest manner possible.

drumbum565 Wed Jun 29, 2005 02:53pm

10-1-2 your jurisdiction ends when you leave the field. I dont know if your orginization allows this but if a coach reenters the field after ejection they are also suspended from the next game.

DG Wed Jun 29, 2005 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Kaliix
Before I know it, he's standing in front of me at home.

I have a standing rule to go along with the 3P's (personal, profane, prolonged). If you run at me, you are gone before you get to me, you just don't know it until you get there.