The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Carlos Delgado was up with 2 outs, bottom of the 1st, 1-2 count. He throws the bat at the next pitch and makes contact. The ball bounced and FIRST hit his shin, then hit him square in the chest...all while he was in the batter's box. The ball rolled in fair territory to about 4 feet in front of the plate where Braves catcher Johnny Estrada tagged him for the out.

Seeing it live, I saw it clearly hit his chest, although I didn't see it hit his shin until I saw the replay. The home plate ump made the call and when Carlos asked him for help, he refused to ask. No one - and I mean no one - not Caddilac Jack or the Marlins third base coach, came out to argue.

I found it strange that he wouldn't ask for help on that one. The pitch was way low and outside and I can see where the plate ump might have missed it...but you've gotta ask for help there, especially when Carlos says, "Blue, that hit me TWICE!" Carlos didn't get in his face either. It was a very calm argument. He wasn't showing the guy up or anything.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Ruled swing and a miss strike 3.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Quote:
Originally posted by NFump
Ruled swing and a miss strike 3.
Are you saying that is how they ruled it on the field?
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

I found it strange that he wouldn't ask for help on that one. The pitch was way low and outside and I can see where the plate ump might have missed it...but you've gotta ask for help there, especially when Carlos says, "Blue, that hit me TWICE!" Carlos didn't get in his face either.

This is a play I'll discuss with my partner in the pre-game. If I'm on the bases, I'll automatically kill anything that hits off the batter in the box. If I don't see it, I don't call it; so the plate umpire doesn't need to check with me. He already knows what I saw by what I called/didn't call. This also helps to avoid those unnecessary conversations when the runner is standing on 1B and the coach comes out to get a second opinion.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
I should know better than to ask my wife anything but she was watching and I wasn't. This is what I was told; batter swings, misses, bat winds up on field, ball hits batter(twice), catcher tags (dropped third)(yes, ball hit batter should have been dead), strike three batter's out. Didn't see replay, didn't hear what the call actually was.
Yes, PU should have gotten help, but really the BUs should have been calling it dead themselves, how do they miss that?
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

I did not see the play, but the pitch was described as being low and outside. How did such a pitch manage to hit the batter either once or twice, if it did not hit the bat? (someone has said the ruling was missed third strike on swing, and not caught by F2) Did it deflect off of the catcher toward the batter? I can't imagine that kind of deflection off of just the ground. In any event, it would also seem that it would be very difficult for PU to follow the ball through such a tortured path, and that a request for help may have actually been helpful.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I would not go for "help" either. 4 MLB blues on the field, if it was a hit ball the bounced up and hit Delgado (twice) one of them would have seen it and killed it. I seriously doubt their mechanics have change and don't allow that as I have seen field blues call that foul before. If none of them called foul at the time of the play then no reason to look for help cuz they are not going to say "oh yeah. Foul."

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

"He throws the bat at the next pitch and makes contact."

Do you mean, by the above sentence, that the bat made contact with the ball?

I can't imagine any way a pitch that was low and outside would end up hitting a batter unless it was redirected by something. What redirected the ball?

Did it redirect off the bat?
Off the catcher?
Both?

Something is missing from this.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates