The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Didn't see this, but it's being discussed on a local umpire forum in Germany. Last weekend, White Sox against the Dodgers. Pitcher attempts a pick-off to first from set position (without disengaging) but stumbles during the attempt and overthrows first. Blue gives TWO bases.

Did anyone see this? Why two bases? Does stumbling during the throw constitute disengagment, or did the umpire blow the call, or what else could explain awarding two bases on a pick-off overthrow?

jeffstone
goettingen
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drumbum565
I think a it could be couple of things.

A. At the time the pitcher made the play (which is where it counts from as far as the base runner goes) the base runner was between second and first there for he was going to second at the time of the throw so when the ball went dead he got the base he was going to and the next one.

B. You didn’t say that the ball went dead if it didn't then he could run home if he likes. I had a play similar to that the other day the ball bounced off the pole 2 feet from the edge of the fence therefore it was still live and the right fielder attempted to gun the runner down at home but the catcher didn’t make the tag.

C. Something else that I’m not thinking
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drumbum565

A. At the time the pitcher made the play (which is where it counts from as far as the base runner goes) the base runner was between second and first there for he was going to second at the time of the throw so when the ball went dead he got the base he was going to and the next one.

B. You didn’t say that the ball went dead if it didn't then he could run home if he likes. I had a play similar to that the other day the ball bounced off the pole 2 feet from the edge of the fence therefore it was still live and the right fielder attempted to gun the runner down at home but the catcher didn’t make the tag.

C. Something else that I’m not thinking
Huh?

Thats wrong, on all points. You award bases from time of pitch or time of throw depending on the situation. I won't go into the situations, I'll leave that to figure out on your own.

If a pitcher throws the ball out of play while on the rubber, its a 1 base award from TOP, no ifs ands, or buts. There has to be something else (like a legal disengagement) that caused the runner to get two bases. He also said blue gives two bases so the ball had to go into dead ball territory.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Drum-

1 base from time of throw if the pitcher was on the rubber when the throw was made.

2 bases from time of throw if pitcher disengages and then throws or if it is thrown by a fielder (unless it is the first play by an infielder, then it's from time of pitch).

None of this the base they're going to plus 1 junk.

So unless the pitcher disengaged before he threw it out of play, award should only be second.

This is assuming the ball actually ended up in DBT.

-Josh
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

I think that the umpires got it wrong.

I can only speculate that they thought F1 had stepped off during the ugly attempt.

Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

B. You didn't say that the ball went dead if it didn't then he could run home if he likes.

I thought it went without saying that the ball was dead. Sorry if I confused you.

jeffstone
goettingen
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jstone999
Didn't see this, but it's being discussed on a local umpire forum in Germany. Last weekend, White Sox against the Dodgers. Pitcher attempts a pick-off to first from set position (without disengaging) but stumbles during the attempt and overthrows first. Blue gives TWO bases.

Did anyone see this? Why two bases? Does stumbling during the throw constitute disengagment, or did the umpire blow the call, or what else could explain awarding two bases on a pick-off overthrow?

jeffstone
goettingen
Everybody seemed to focus on the overthrow, but isnt it correct that a stumble on the pickoff, as long as he didnt stop his motion and made a throw to first, would not be a balk in itself?
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Correct mm.

-Josh
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrm21711
Quote:

Everybody seemed to focus on the overthrow, but isnt it correct that a stumble on the pickoff, as long as he didnt stop his motion and made a throw to first, would not be a balk in itself?
Maybe, but that would be a ONE base award, not two.

jeffstone
goettingen
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the play too and told my wife that I thought the umpires missed that one. He didn't disengage before throwing, and it didn't appear to me that he stepped in the direction of first.

After the two base award, the manager came back out to argue. It wasn't clear what he was wanting, but the talking heads were suggesting he wanted a balk in order to reduce the award to one base.

In any case, I thought they kicked that call.

CraigD
Israel
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, dear God, dumbrumb. I tried to defend you hear a couple of times, but you keep proving that you really need to get your @$$ off the field and into the books. I've had coaches that I consider rule-idiots that understand the rules better than you. You seem to have found EVERY incorrect coach assumption, and quoted it here as gospel. Damn. What's next - hands are part of the bat?

The base he's going to plus one, huh. Hadn't heard that misnomer in a while. Didn't think there were any umpires in existence today that still thought that was the rule.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You've just lost all credibility on this board for that statement.

Please read this before ever posting again:

http://eteamz.active.com/baseball/rules/obr/myths/
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
Quote:

You've just lost all credibility on this board for that statement.

Please read this before ever posting again:

http://eteamz.active.com/baseball/rules/obr/myths/
hang on just a sec...it's obvious that drummer boy is a newbie...we have all made a mistake or three. Let's correct him and get him straight. You gotta give the kid props for not coming in and spouting LL crap and how he knows it all. At least he wants to learn.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

jumpmaster,

I would agree with your assessment that the drummer is a newbie (at least I hope so).

Quote:

As far as takeing crap, you dont need to worry. I lead my association in ejections
Personally, I find his above statement somewhat disturbing. I would guess that the vast majority of his ejections are a direct result of his own improper rulings on plays resulting from his woefully inadequate understanding of the proper application of the rules of baseball.

I find that the combination of arrogance (hair trigger on ejections) and ignorance (inadequate knowledge of the rules to properly officiate) makes for a very poor umpire.

What do you think?

JM
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM

I find that the combination of arrogance (hair trigger on ejections) and ignorance (inadequate knowledge of the rules to properly officiate) makes for a very poor umpire.

What do you think?

JM [/B]
Sounds like he has two choices...
a. learn to be a good umpire
b. give up umpiring and become a rat

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass