The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Question

In high school baseball (7 innings) can a pitcher that is ejected from the game still be the winning pitcher? He is on the home team and has completed five innings on the mound and is ejected while at bat in the bottom of the fifth inning. Another player takes his place and completes his at bat and then finishes the game on the mound. The home team has the lead from the third inning on until the game is completed.
Is the ejected pitcher still the winner?
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Yes.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 05:38pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Agreed.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

who cares

Quote:
Originally posted by Brucef
Is the ejected pitcher still the winner?
Who cares.
This is a question for baseballscorekeeper dot com.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

It always amuses me that you will see people here say "The official scorekeeper is part of the officating crew. He/She should be impartial, and should not bring appealable offenses (like BOO) to the attention of either coach."

And then we will ALWAYS have at least one person tell someone who asks a scoring question that "This is an umpiring forum. You go away now."

There's no reason we can't field (and usually properly answer) scorekeeper questions here. If you don't want to, just ignore it - don't be a pompous @$$ about it.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Sorry to ruffle your feathers BlueHair.
If it's not pertinent to this forum who the winning pitcher is then remove this posting.
BTW, thanks for those who responded courteously.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
It always amuses me that you will see people here say "The official scorekeeper is part of the officating crew. He/She should be impartial, and should not bring appealable offenses (like BOO) to the attention of either coach."

And then we will ALWAYS have at least one person tell someone who asks a scoring question that "This is an umpiring forum. You go away now."
Who is the scorekeeper? Is there really an official one? It is almost always a player who is just sitting on a bucket.

I am sure that this reserve is going to be impartial. No way would he tell his coach that the other team batted out of order.

Unless you are calling a game where there is a guy sitting up in the press box scoring the game, then you really don't have an "official scorer". All you have is 2 guys who don't play, keeping score for their teams.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

You're right Luke - the way it is in your little neck of the woods must necessarily be identical to the way the rest of us have it set up. My bad.

Sarcasm off.

In all locations I umpire, either there is truly a separate individual paid and assigned to keep score (this is usually high school or at lower level tournaments) or we require the home team to provide one.

In EITHER of these cases, the scorekeeper IS required to be impartial, and is required to sit directly behind the plate umpire, away from the rest of the fans (and most definitely not "on a bucket" near a dugout. (And on many fields, is the only one shaded, other than perhaps the board operator (recruited from the visiting fans) --- a nice bonus for their efforts here in Texas).

And without exception, in the cases of someone recruited from the home fans - that person gets a short speech that they are temporarily one of the officiating crew, and they are not to bring any anomalies to the attention of either team. We specifically mention BOO (telling them to ignore and track unless PU asks them something). We also mention the few things that we DO want them to mention (illegal substitute, etc.)

This is the way things are run here from 8U up to varsity H.S., and for baseball, softball, basketball, and football (possibly others --- I've not worked or attended other sports). The occasional college game I work has scorekeepers in a booth, inaccessible (at which point, the emphasis on lineup keeping increases in importance).
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
You're right Luke - the way it is in your little neck of the woods must necessarily be identical to the way the rest of us have it set up. My bad.

Sarcasm off.

In all locations I umpire, either there is truly a separate individual paid and assigned to keep score (this is usually high school or at lower level tournaments) or we require the home team to provide one.
I think I am in the big neck of the woods on this issue.

If people in your area are rich enough to pay for a scorekeeper, your game fee must be $115.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Normally scorekeep is either getting 10 bucks or so, or logging community service hours for scholarship purposes.

No - I'm not NORMALLY getting $115 - but I have occasionally. Normally, it's a little less than half that. Sometimes as low as a third of that.

My sarcasm was merely meant to point out that you seemed to make a lot of assumptions on your previous post when you said, "It is almost always a player..." (I've never had it be a player. Not once.) And when you said, "you really don't have an "official scorer""... and I ALWAYS do.

Using the home team person, if you can separate them from the crowd and give them the speech, actually works quite well. Can't see why you couldn't get them to implement it where you are.