The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

This is one for debate.

Even though we have not seen it done. Can a right handed pitcher from the stretch attempt to pick of a runner in the following manner:

He comes to the set position and simply picks up his left leg(stride leg) andddd step towars first. If he can do this without coming home is it legal?

Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

livtrav,

Maybe you mean to ask something else, but YES, it is perfectly legal for a RHP to make a direct step and throw to 1B from the rubber after having come legally set (assuming it is done properly).

See 8.01(b) & 8.01(c).

Why wouldn't it be?

JM
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Coach JM

The reason I ask it this way coach is because a right handed pitcher either jump/pivots to first or steps of the back of the rubber.

I have never seen a right handed pitcher do it that way.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: Coach JM

Quote:
Originally posted by livtrav
The reason I ask it this way coach is because a right handed pitcher either jump/pivots to first or steps of the back of the rubber.

I have never seen a right handed pitcher do it that way.
its not done very often because its not a quick move to first and is probably not going to pick someone off.

but it is used some.

as long as he steps toward first and throws the ball he is fine.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

livtrav

I am guessing you are a "younger" person.

The move you described was one of the two basic moves to first for about 50 years. It is only in the last 15 years or so that we have seen the development of the jab step and the jump turn.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by livtrav
This is one for debate.

Even though we have not seen it done. Can a right handed pitcher from the stretch attempt to pick of a runner in the following manner:

He comes to the set position and simply picks up his left leg(stride leg) andddd step towars first. If he can do this without coming home is it legal?

The rulebook supercedes what one has seen or not seen.

OBR 8.01(b)The Set Position.

Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands facing the batter with his entire pivot foot on, or in front of, and in contact with, and not off the end of the pitcher’s plate, and his other foot in front of the pitcher’s plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop. From such Set Position he may deliver the ball to the batter, throw to a base or step backward off the pitcher’s plate with his pivot foot.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Re: livtrav

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I am guessing you are a "younger" person.

The move you described was one of the two basic moves to first for about 50 years. It is only in the last 15 years or so that we have seen the development of the jab step and the jump turn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

Tim, do you not consider this a balk?? I believe I remeber you saying this before. Not throwing barbs here, maybe my almost 40 year old brain is playing tricks
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

i had a coach question me on this play that happened the other day:

the pitcher throws a pickoff to first but just pivots on his pivot foot and doesn't lift it from the rubber. he seemed to think that his pivot foot has to lift for him to pick off someone at first.

i just told him that you NEVER EVER EVER have to disengage to pick someone off. the only thing that is required is a step directly towards the base.