The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

ball hit top of outfield fence, bounced up about 5-10 feet and came back into play. (it was round, not flat, just to let you know why/how it bounced back) home run or not? thanks
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

No.

Would you give a player a homerun if the ball hit the wall one foot from the ground. Why would this be any different?

***Note to self - Next time Tim, Garth, et. al. say this baord is being invaded, agree with them...
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

this was the top of the wall, not the front. it hit that yellow protective plastic coating on top of the fence and the ball bounced up. I see a major similarity that it would be a home run if the ball hit the foul pole directly above the top of the wall. I could swear i've seen highlights of this from the pro's and they call it a home run.

Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

there is one major difference in hitting the top of the fence and a foul pole. The top of the fence is the top of the fence. The foul pole that gets struck is ABOVE the fence in FAIR territory, the batted ball has left the field of play in fair territory, meeting the criteria for a home run. A ball that strikes the fence and bounces back into play is no more than a live ball in play.

[Edited by aevans410 on Jun 10th, 2005 at 10:32 AM]
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Hitting the fence is hitting the fence, no matter what part of the fence it is.

Just cause it's the yellow part at the top doesn't make a difference, the ball has not left the field of play in fair territory.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue19
this was the top of the wall, not the front. it hit that yellow protective plastic coating on top of the fence and the ball bounced up. I see a major similarity that it would be a home run if the ball hit the foul pole directly above the top of the wall. I could swear i've seen highlights of this from the pro's and they call it a home run.

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Think of the yellow line on the fence as a foul line. If the ball touches any part of the foul line, what have you got? Ball live and in play. If the ball touches any part of the yellow line on the fence, and bounces back into play what have you got? Ball live and in play.

Same concept, except if it bounces over the fence instead of back on the field, then you have the HR.

Edited to add....the foul pole is considered to be behind the fence, not on the fence.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Better yet, think of an outfield fence as an outfield fence. If it goes over in fair territory it's a home run, if it don't it's not. The yellow stuff on top is just contrast, on fences that green that are above grass that is green, and often times in front of a backdrop that is green, to help umpires know whether a ball went in front of or behind the yellow stuff. It also protects players from injury when they up for a ball, but it could be any color to to do that.